|Ben Shepherd Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||September 20, 1968|
Ben Shepherd is an American musician and songwriter who has gained acclaim as the bassist of the rock band Soundgarden. He has also been a part of supergroups like Hater and Wellwater Conspiracy and as well as being a part of numerous musical projects like Badmotorfinger, Songs from the Superunknown, I’ll Take Care of You, Down on the Upside, Telephantasm, King Animal, The 2nd, Hater, Declaration of Conformity, and Field Songs.
Hunter Benedict Shepherd
- Father – Henry Bennett Shepherd (Worked in the Nike missile program and played the guitar)
- Mother – Gabrielle Karen “Gay” (McMullen) Shepherd-MacKenzie
- Others – Calaup Bennett Shepherd (Paternal Grandfather), Louise Henrietta Kyle (Paternal Grandmother), Kenneth Ambrose McMullen (Maternal Grandfather), Cecilia Juanita Cummings (Maternal Grandmother), Ralph “Tony” McMullen (Cousin)
Alternative metal, grunge, alternative rock, heavy metal
Bass guitar, guitar, vocals, drums, mandolin
Sub Pop, A&M, Burn Burn Burn, Dine Alone Records (Canada)
6 ft 4 in or 193 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
Ben Shepherd is of Cornish, English, German, Irish, Scots-Irish/Northern Irish, Welsh, French-Canadian (including Belgian (Walloon) and Breton), and Polish descent.
Salt and Pepper
- Towering height
- Lean physique
Ben Shepherd Facts
- He was born on an American military base in Okinawa. Later, his family shifted from Allen, Texas, to Kingston, Washington, where Ben Shepherd spent his childhood years.
- It was after listening to singer and musician Johnny Cash on TV that he became inclined towards music.
- He has also worked as a carpenter and a laborer in the past.
- Ben Shepherd auditioned to become a member of Soundgarden by replacing bassist Hiro Yamamoto who left in 1989. However, he wasn’t selected as he did not know how to play the songs and, instead, Jason Everman was chosen.
- He later replaced Jason Everman as Everman was fired by the band after the closure of the Louder Than Love tour in 1990.
- With Soundgarden, Ben Shepherd released its 3rd studio album, Badmotorfinger, on September 24, 1991, through A&M Records. The album was nominated for the 1992 Grammy Award for “Best Metal Performance” and was also certified double ‘Platinum’ by the Recording Industry Association of America in 1996.
- Alongside his Soundgarden bandmate Matt Cameron, he formed the rock supergroup, Hater, in Seattle, Washington in 1993. Hater released its first eponymous studio album on September 21, 1993.
- In 1993, Matt Cameron, Ben Shepherd, and John McBain formed the rock supergroup, Wellwater Conspiracy, in Seattle, Washington.
- With Wellwater Conspiracy, Shepherd released the band’s first studio album, Declaration of Conformity, on June 17, 1997, via Third Gear Records.
Featured Image by Teresa Sedó / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0