|Billy Joel Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5½ in|
|Date of Birth||May 9, 1949|
Billy Joel is an award-winning American singer, songwriter, musician, and composer whose song credits include hits like Piano Man (1973), Uptown Girl (1983), Just the Way You Are (1977), etc. He has more than 3 million followers on Facebook, more than 900k subscribers on YouTube, and more than 300k followers on Twitter and Instagram.
William Martin Joel
Billy, The Piano Man, Joe, Mr. Long Island
The Bronx, New York, United States
New York, United States
Billy studied at Hicksville High School but failed to graduate in 1967 as he lacked the required credits. Nevertheless, he received his diploma 25 years later in 1992.
Singer, Songwriter, Musician, Composer
- Father – Howard Helmut Joel (Engineer, Pianist)
- Mother – Rosalind Nyman
- Siblings – Judy Joel (Younger Sister), Alexander Joel (Half-brother) (Music Conductor)
- Others – Karl Amson Joel (Paternal Grandfather), Meta Fleischmann (Paternal Grandmother), Philip Nyman (Maternal Grandfather), Rebecca Gershon (Maternal Grandmother)
Billy is represented by Maritime Music, Inc. situated in New York.
Rock, Soft Rock
- Columbia Records
- Sony Classical Records
- Family Productions
5 ft 5½ in or 166.5 cm
66 kg or 145.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Billy has dated –
- Elizabeth Webber (1971-1982) – Billy was married to Elizabeth Webber from September 5, 1973, to July 1982.
- Elle Macpherson
- Harriet Baldwin-Carter (1982-1983)
- Christie Brinkley (1983-1994) – The Uptown Girl singer got married to model Christie Brinkley on March 23, 1985. They welcomed daughter Alexa Ray Joel on December 29, 1985. Sadly, their divorce was finalized on August 26, 1994.
- Carolyn Beegan (1994-2000)
- Dina Meyer (2001)
- Trish Bergen (2001-2002)
- Katie Lee (2003-2009) – Joel’s third marriage took place to Katie Lee on October 2, 2004. However, the couple split up on June 17, 2009.
- Alex Donnelley (2009)
- Deborah Dampiere (2009)
- Alexis Roderick (2009-Present) – Joel married his 4th wife, Alexis Roderick on July 4, 2015. The couple has 2 daughters together – Della Rose Joel (b. August 12, 2015) and Remy Anne Joel (b. October 22, 2017).
Race / Ethnicity
He has Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry.
However, he has turned bald with his advancing age.
Billy has endorsed the following brands –
- Bachman Pretzels
- XM Satellite Radio Service (2002) (Print Ads)
Billy was raised in a non-practicing Jewish family.
But, he has identified as an atheist since.
Billy Joel Favorite Things
- Songs By Himself – Vienna, And So It Goes, You May Be Right, She’s Right On Time, Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
- Pianist – Steve Winwood
- Food – Pasta
- Song To Play – You May Be Right
- Collaborator – Elle Macpherson
Source – YouTube, SongFacts.com, YouTube, Billboard
Billy Joel Facts
- His oldest daughter, Alexa Ray Joel was named after his musical idol, the legendary musician Ray Charles.
- In the 1970s, Joel had attempted suicide by drinking furniture polish. He has since spoken candidly about his struggles with depression and substance abuse.
- Joel decided to pursue a music career after watching The Beatles perform on The Ed Sullivan Show in the mid-1960s.
- In 2004, Rolling Stone magazine listed Piano Man as #421 on its list of ‘500 Greatest Songs of All Time’.
Featured Image by David Shankbone / Wikimedia / CC BY 3.0