|Dhananjaya de Silva Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||September 6, 1991|
Dhananjaya de Silva is a Sri Lankan professional cricketer who has represented his country in all 3 formats of the sport (Tests, ODIs, and T20Is), as a batting all-rounder. In the Sri Lankan domestic circuit, he has played for Badureliya Sports Club, Kandurata Maroons, Ragama Cricket Club, and Tamil Union Cricket and Athletic Club (2016–Present) across all 3 formats. At the franchise level, he has turned out for the Jaffna Stallions (2020), Colombo Stars (2021), and Jaffna Kings (formerly known as Jaffna Stallions) (2022) in the LPL (Lanka Premier League). He was an integral member of the Jaffna Stallions squad that had won the LPL title in the inaugural edition of the tournament in December 2020.
Dhananjaya Maduranga de Silva
DDS, Dhana, Mr. Smile
Hambantota, Southern Province, Sri Lanka
Colombo, Western Province, Sri Lanka
Dhananjaya had attended the Debarawewa National School in Tissamaharama, a town in Hambantota District. He then briefly studied at Mahanama College, a Sinhala Buddhist boys’ school in Colombo, before taking a transfer to Richmond College, a primary and secondary school in Galle, Sri Lanka. He played his senior school cricket there and captained the Richmond First XI cricket team in the 2010-11 season.
- Father – Ranjan de Silva (Politician) (d. May 2018)
- Siblings – He has a younger brother and an older brother.
Right-Arm Off Break
75 – Test Match, One Day International (ODI), T20 International (T20I), Jaffna Stallions (LPL)
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
67 kg or 147.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Dhananjaya has dated –
- Sanduni Nisansala (2018-Present) – Dhananjaya married his high school sweetheart Sanduni Nisansala in 2018. They have a daughter together named Aanya de Silva (b. January 2022).
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Sri Lankan descent.
- Toned physique
- Ever-changing hairstyle
- Charming smile
- Sports a trimmed beard
- Has his right arm covered in tattoos
Dhananjaya de Silva Facts
- Dhananjaya made his test match debut in July 2016 in the first match of a 3-match bilateral home series against Australia. In the first innings of that match, he was Sri Lanka’s top-scorer with 24 runs and his first scoring shot was a sixer. This made him the first player for Sri Lanka, and the 5th overall, to get off the mark in a test match by scoring a sixer.
- He scored his maiden test match century in the 3rd and final match of that series. He was also the top run-getter in the 3-match series, on either side, with 325 runs to his name. Sri Lanka went on to win the series by a 3-0 margin, the first time in history that they had whitewashed Australia in a test series.
- In November 2017, he was honored with the ‘Test Batsman of the Year’ award (for the 2016–17 season) at the annual awards ceremony of Sri Lanka Cricket (the governing body for the sport in the country).
- His father, a politician, was killed by an unidentified gunman in front of the family home in May 2018. Dhananjaya, consequently, withdrew from the early stages of Sri Lanka’s tour of the West Indies for a 3-match test series that was held in June 2018.
Featured Image by Dhananjaya de Silva / Instagram