|DJ Drama Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||April 22, 1978|
DJ Drama is an American DJ, record executive, and music promoter who has published the solo studio albums Gangsta Grillz: The Album (2007), Gangsta Grillz: The Album (Vol. 2) (2009), Third Power (2011), Quality Street Music (2012), and Quality Street Music 2 (2016). All these albums had peaked within the ‘Top 10’ of the US R&B and the US Rap music charts. He has also released numerous mixtapes during his career.
Tyree Cinque Simmons
Germantown, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
He splits his time between Atlanta, Georgia, United States, and Los Angeles, California, United States.
DJ Drama had graduated, in 1996, from Central High School, a public school in the Logan neighborhood of Philadelphia. After his high school graduation, he had joined Clark Atlanta University, a private, Methodist, historically black research university in Atlanta. He had studied mass communication there and had graduated in 2000.
DJ, Record Executive, Music Promoter
- Father – Michael Simmons
- Mother – Dina Portnoy (Teacher)
- Siblings – Aishah Shahidah Simmons (Sister) (Documentary Filmmaker, Author, Educator, Activist)
Hip Hop, Rap, R&B
- Aphilliates Music
- Generation Now
- MNRK Music Group
- Grand Hustle Records
- Atlantic Recording Corporation
- Warner Music Group
- SinceThe80s, LLC
- Private Club Records
- Rostrum Records
- Virgin Records
DJ Drama’s net worth had been $12 million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
DJ Drama has dated –
- Summer P Walker
- Jessica Burciaga (2014-2018)
- Debakii (2018-2020)
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (Black and White)
He is of African-American descent on his father’s side and Ashkenazi Jewish (Russian) descent on his mother’s side.
- Often makes appearances in baseball hats worn back to front
- Sports a thick beard
DJ Drama Facts
- When DJ Drama was 13 years old, he and his sister were on a trip to New York City where he had purchased his first mixtape. He was so influenced by the mixtape that he soon began making his own tapes including one titled Illadelph which had featured several local artists. He had also started experimenting with turntables around this time.
- While he was attending Clark Atlanta University, he had made an acquaintance with 2 other Philadelphia-raised DJs called DJ Sense and Don Cannon. The trio had co-founded the Atlanta-based DJ and artist collective known as The Aphilliates. Around the same time, he had taken up the moniker ‘DJ Drama’ and had started making and releasing mixtapes under that stage name.
- In 1998, he had released his first mixtape, titled Jim Crow Laws, and it was composed exclusively of Southern hip hop acts. The success of that mixtape had encouraged him to start the Gangsta Grillz mixtape series.
- At the 2008 Justo Mixtape Awards, he had won 3 awards – ‘Best Dirty South DJ’, ‘Best Mixtape Series’ for Gangsta Grillz, and ‘Best Mixtape Team’ with The Aphilliates.
- At the 2013 BET Hip Hop Awards, he had been honored with the ‘DJ of the Year’ award.
- At the 2018 Global Spin Awards, he and Don Cannon had won the ‘DJ Record Label of the Year’ award for Generation Now, an Atlantic Recording Corporation imprint that the duo had co-founded.
Featured Image by DJ Drama / Instagram