|Donald Sutherland Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 3½ in|
|Date of Birth||July 17, 1935|
Donald Sutherland is a well-distinguished Emmy and Golden Globe Award-winning Canadian actor who has worked with the world of film and television for over 5 decades. A few of his most well-perceived roles were in films and shows like The Dirty Dozen (1987), M*A*S*H (1970), Klute (1971), Don’t Look Now (1973), Fellini’s Casanova (1976), 1900 (1976), Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) and Ordinary People (1980), and The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1 (2014).
Donald McNichol Sutherland
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Georgeville, Quebec, Canada
Donald completed his schooling from Bridgewater High School. Thereafter, he attended Victoria University from where he attained a double major in drama and engineering.
Later, he attended the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art but quit. After that, he attended the Scotland’s Perth Repertory Theatre for 1 and a half years.
- Father – Frederick McLea Sutherland (b.1892–d.1956)
- Mother – Dorothy Isobel McNichol (b.1894–d.1983)
- Others – Tommy Douglas (Former Father-In-Law) (Ex-Politician)
Sutherland is represented by Creative Artists Agency and Jerry Longarzo of Klevan Longarzo Vance Blumensaadt.
6 ft 3½ in or 192 cm
96 kg or 212 pounds
Girlfriend / Spouse
Sutherland has dated –
- Lois Hardwick (1959-1966)
- Shirley Douglas (1966-1971) – They have 2 children named, Kiefer Sutherland (b. December 21, 1966) and Rachel Sutherland (December 21, 1966) (Production Manager)
- Jane Fonda (1970-1972)
- Francine Racette (1972-present) – They have 3 children named, Rossif Sutherland (b. September 25, 1978), Angus Redford Sutherland (b. September 3, 1982), and Roeg Sutherland (b. February 5, 1974)
Race / Ethnicity
Donald is of Scottish, German, and some English descent.
With age, Donald’s hair has turned white.
- Often sports a thick beard
- Raised eyebrows
- Towering height and slender frame
Donald has appeared in commercials for various brands such as –
- Simply Beverages
- Delta Air Lines
Donald Sutherland Favorite Things
- Smell – The Atlantic Ocean on the coast of Nova Scotia
Source – The Guardian
Donald Sutherland Facts
- He was raised in the town of Bridgewater, Nova Scotia.
- Donald’s father worked in the sales and also ran a local gas, bus, and electricity company.
- Sutherland was diagnosed with rheumatic fever, hepatitis, and poliomyelitis as a child.
- He had taken up a number of odd jobs along the way and worked as a disc jockey at one point. At the age of 14, he took up the position of news corresponded at CKBW.
- He is an engineer by profession. However, since he had also graduated with a major in drama, Donald favored acting. Afterwhich, he moved to Britain in 1957 to follow his passion.
- In the past, he was a member of the comedy troupe, “UC Follies.”
- On December 18, 1978, he was honored as an officer of the Order of Canada.
- In the year 2000, Donald was inducted into Canada’s Walk of Fame.
- Donald has a home in Georgeville, Quebec.
- He named his 4 sons after the directors that he worked along with.
- In the past, Sutherland began writing blogs for The Huffington Post.
- He was given the “Academy Honorary Award” in 2017.
- Donald once stated that he trained dogs and that the best kiss of his life was at the Orly airport in 1973.
Featured Image By Alan Light / Flickr / CC BY 2.0