GFriend is a South Korean girl group formed by the entertainment company, Source Music. Despite being a product of a small entertainment company, GFriend has achieved a rather significant fame and success in its endeavors by having released a diverse set of discography that comprises of a huge number of tracks, EPs, albums, compilation albums, and music videos like Glass Bead, Me Gustas Tu, LOL, Memoria, Time for the Moon Night, Love Whisper, Rough, Snowflake, Flower Bud, Parallel, Fingertip, Summer Rain, The Awakening, Season of Glass, Time for Us, Navillera, and others. The group made its debut with the EP titled Season of Glass and gradually claimed its way to success by winning numerous awards and nominations such as Asia Artist Awards, Gaon Chart Music Awards, Genie Music Awards, MTN Broadcast Advertising Awards, Melon Popularity Award, Mnet Asian Music Awards, Seoul Music Awards, Soribada Best K-Music Awards, BreakTudo Awards, Melon Music Awards, Japan Gold Disc Award, V Live Awards, MTV Europe Music Awards, 12th Annual Soompi Awards, Golden Disc Awards, and 13th Annual Soompi Awards. Moreover, the group commenced on its first-ever headlining tour, GFriend 1st Asia Tour: Season of GFriend, in 2018 and has also garnered a huge number of followers from across the world and enjoys more than 4 million followers on Instagram, more than 1.5 million followers on Twitter, more than a million followers on Facebook, and more than 1.5 million subscribers on YouTube.
Seoul, South Korea
K-Pop, Dance Pop
First Headlining Tour
The girl group did its first headlining tour, GFriend 1st Asia Tour: Season of GFriend, in 2018 and it covered places such as Seoul, New Taipei City, Quezon City, Osaka, Tokyo, and Hong Kong.
- The girl group, GFriend, includes Sowon, Yerin, Eunha, Yuju, SinB, and Umji and has been formed by the entertainment company, Source Music. The group made its debut with the release of the EP, Season of Glass, on January 15, 2015, and has since released a large number of singles, albums, music videos, compilations albums, and EPs such as Time for Us, LOL, Fever Season, Season of Glass, Flower Bud, The Awakening, Me Gustas Tu, Snowflake, Parallel, Rough, Glass Bead, Sunny Summer, Time for the Moon Night, Rainbow, Fingertip, Love Whisper, Memoria, and many others.
- GFriend‘s debut album, LOL, was released on July 11, 2016, via Source Music and LOEN Entertainment (later Kakao M) and it consisted of songs such as Fall in Love, Navillera, LOL, Water Flower, Mermaid, Distance, Gone with the Wind, Compass, and Click. Moreover, the album was ranked at number #3 in the South Korean Albums (Gaon) chart and at number #7 in the US World Albums (Billboard) chart and was also nominated for a Golden Disc Award in the “Disk Daesang” category in 2017 as well as a Soompi Award in the “Album of the Year” category the same year.
- Soon after, GFriend‘s 3rd EP, Snowflake, was released on January 25, 2016, and included tracks such as Rough, Snowflake, Someday, Say My Name, Luv Star, and Trust. The EP was ranked at number #2 in the Gaon Album Chart, at number #195 in the Oricon Albums Chart, and at number #10 in the U.S. Billboard Chart. One of the tracks, titled “Rough”, from the EP became particularly popular and won Gaon Chart Music Award in the “Song of the Year (January)” category, Golden Disc Award in the “Digital Bonsang” category, Melon Music Award in the “Best Dance (Female)” category, and Mnet Asian Music Award in the “Best Dance Performance – Female Group” category as well as was ranked at number #3 in YouTube’s top 10 “Most Viewed K-Pop Videos Around the World in January 2016” and at number #2 in the top 10 “K-pop MVs most beloved by South Koreans in 2016”. Rough also accomplished the feat of becoming the most downloaded song in 2016 according to Gaon Chart’s 2016 Year End Download Chart.
- The 6th EP, Time for the Moon Night, by the girl group, GFriend, was released on April 30, 2018, and it peaked at number #1 in the Gaon Album Chart, at number #63 in the Oricon Albums Chart, and at number #6 in the U.S. Billboard Chart. The EP comprised of songs like Time for the Moon Night, Love Bug, Bye, Flower Garden, Tik Tik, and You Are My Star and also won a Melon Music Award in the “Best Music Video” category. Additionally, it was nominated for a Gaon Chart Music Award in the “Song of the Year (April)” category, Golden Disc Award in the “Digital Daesang” category, and Soompi Award in the “Music Video of the Year” category. In 2018, the EP’s track, “Time for the Moon Night”, also became the first song of the year to win all the prizes in musical programs.
- GFriend‘s 7th EP, Fever Season, came out on July 1, 2019, and it was ranked at number #1 in the Gaon Album Chart, at number #73 in the Oricon Albums Chart, and at number #10 in the U.S. Billboard Chart.
- The famous group has won a large number of awards and nominations which include the likes of Gaon Chart Music Awards, Golden Disc Awards (GDA), Melon Music Awards (MMA), Mnet Asian Music Awards (MAMA), Seoul Music Awards (SMA), Soribada Best K-Music Awards (SOBA), The Fact Music Awards, Japan Gold Disc Award, MTV Europe Music Awards, MBC Show Champion Awards, 13th Annual Soompi Award, Asia Model Award, and numerous others.
- It has also earned immense global popularity and has garnered a huge fan base on social media with more than 4 million followers on Instagram, more than 1.5 million followers on Twitter, more than a million followers on Facebook, and more than 1.5 million subscribers on YouTube.
- YouTube ranked the music video for the song, “Glass Bead”, from the EP titled Season of Glass at the 9th spot in the top 10 “Most Viewed K-Pop Videos Around the World in January 2015” list. Soon after, on January 28, 2015, the girl group was named as one of the “Top 5 K-Pop Artists to Watch in 2015”.
- In 2015, GFriend‘s another track, Me Gustas Tu, was released and while the group was performing in one of the promotional events for the song, the members fell on the stage several times owing to the slippery floor. This brought much attention their way and their video of that particular show also became viral in September 2015 and GFriend members were highly praised for their professionalism. During the incident, Yuju even twisted one of her fingers and fell on stage for around 8 times.
- The song, Me Gustas Tu, has been listed as the longest-charting song by an idol group on Melon Top 100 with 63 weeks while the song also ranked at number #18 in the 2015 Bugs Year-End Top 100.
- The group had its first win for the track, Rough, on the South Korean music television program broadcast, The Show, in February 2016 and the song went on to receive a total of 15 music shows wins which included winning their first triple crowns on programs like M Countdown, Music Bank, Show Champion, and Inkigayo.
- GFriend‘s fame skyrocketed when it was nominated as the only girl group in the 2015 MTV Europe Music Awards in the “Best Korean Act” category alongside boy groups such as B1A4, BTS, Got7, and VIXX.
- GFriend‘s first-ever fan meet, named “Dear Buddy”, was organized in April 2017.
- The members of GFriend have made appearances in a number of shows such as GFriend! Look After Our Dog, Mamamoo x GFriend Showtime, GFriend Summer Vacation in Okinawa, GFriend Loves Europe, One Fine Day, GFriend – Where R U Going?!, and The Friends in Adriatic Sea.
- The girl group has been a part of many commercials for brands such as Pepsi, Hyundai Sonata, and several others.
- The group has made soundtrack appearances in Pokemon the Movie XY&Z‘s OST “Letter in My Pocket”, What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim‘s OST “Wanna Be”, and Just One Bite Season 2‘s OST “ZZAN”.
- On October 10, 2018, GFriend released its debut Japanese single album, Memoria, which debuted at number #6 in Oricon Weekly Singles Chart and at number #5 in Billboard Japan Weekly Top Singles Sales.
- Over the years, the girl group has done a couple of headlining tours and showcases like GFriend L.O.L Showcase (2016), GFriend Premium Showcase in Japan (2018), GFriend Spring Tour 2019: Bloom (2019), and GFriend 2nd Asia Tour: Go Go GFriend! (2019).
- Follow the girl group, GFriend, on Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, Spotify, iTunes, and Facebook.
Featured Image by SJ / Tistory.com / CC BY 4.0