|Gong Li Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||December 31, 1965|
Gong Li is a Singaporean actress of Chinese origin who is widely regarded as one of the finest Asian actresses of her era. She is well recognized for her work in films such as Red Sorghum (1987), Ju Dou (1990), Raise the Red Lantern (1991), The Story of Qiu Ju (1992), To Live (1994), Chinese Box (1997), The Emperor and the Assassin (1998), and Breaking the Silence (2000). For her contribution to cinema, the French government had appointed a Commander of the ‘Ordre des Arts et des Lettres’ in 2010.
Shenyang, Hunnan, Liaoning Province, China
Gong Li had studied at the Jinan Sanhe Street Primary School and the Jinan No.2 Middle School in Jinan, Shandong. She had joined the Central Academy of Drama in Beijing in 1985 and had graduated from there in 1989.
- Father – Gong Lize (Economics Professor)
- Mother – Zhao Ying (Teacher)
- Siblings – Gong Wen (Older Sister), Gong Di (Older Sister), Gong Zheng (Older Brother), Gong Gu (Older Brother)
- Others – Francette Pejot (Mother-in-Law) (Former Member of the French Resistance), Maurice Jarre (Father-in-Law) (Music Composer, Conductor) (d. March 28, 2009), Stéphanie Jarre (Half-Sister-in-Law) (Set Decorator), Kevin Jarre (Step-Brother-in-Law) (Screenwriter, Actor, Film Producer) (d. April 3, 2011)
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Gong Li has dated –
- Zhang Yimou (1987-1995)
- Ooi Hoe Soeng (1996–2010) – Gong Li had married Singaporean tobacco tycoon Ooi Hoe Seong in November 1996 in a ceremony at Hong Kong’s China Club. They have a son together named Mamoru Yoki Chung Li. They had parted ways in 2009 and their divorce was confirmed in June 2010.
- Jean-Michel Jarre (2019-Present) – Gong Li got married to French music composer and record producer Jean-Michel Jarre in 2019. She has 2 step-children – a stepson named David Jarre (b. 1977) (Actor) and a stepdaughter named Émilie Charlotte Jarre (b. 1976) (Fashion Model) – from Jean-Michel Jarre’s previous marriages.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Chinese descent.
- Slender frame
- Charming smile
- Long, straight hair
- Gleaming face
Gong Li has served as the brand ambassador for –
- L’Oreal Paris (First Chinese Ambassador of the brand)
- Midea Group
- Osim International
- Piaget SA
- Hisense Group
In June 2008, she had narrated the ‘Beijing City Guide’, an audio guide produced by Louis Vuitton and Soundwalk.
Gong Li Facts
- Gong Li had developed a love for singing and dancing from a very young age and had always dreamt of becoming a singer. When she was in 2nd grade, her school had recommended her to sing children’s songs at the Jinan People’s Broadcasting Station.
- During her high school days, she was a member of the school’s literature and art team.
- While she was studying at the Central Academy of Drama in Beiing, she was discovered by Chinese film director, producer, writer, and actor Zhang Yimou. He selected her to play the lead role of Jiu’er in the 1987 film Red Sorghum, his feature film directorial debut, and Gong Li’s debut feature film as an actress.
- She was the first Asian to have served on the jury of the Berlin Film Festival (2000) and the Venice Film Festival (2002).
Featured Image by Gong Li / Instagram