|Guy Ritchie Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||September 10, 1968|
Guy Ritchie is an English movie director, producer, and screenwriter, widely known for his stylistic British gangster films. He was expelled from an elite boarding school at the age of 15. He immediately attempted to get entry-level jobs in the film industry, got a job as a runner, and eventually directed music promos for bands and some commercials. In 1995, with the profits made from those promos and commercials, he wrote and directed a 20-minute short film, The Hard Case. The short film impressed some producers who bankrolled Guy’s first feature film. It was a crime comedy, a sequel to The Hard Case, named Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998). The production was completed in 8 months, received very positive reviews, and became an international success. The movie starred Nick Moran and introduced actors like Jason Statham, Jason Flemyng, and Dexter Fletcher. The popularity of the film prompted him to executive produce a 7-episode spin-off television series called Lock, Stock… in 2000. In 2000, he directed another film on a similar theme, Snatch. It starred the likes of Brad Pitt, Benicio del Toro, Jason Statham, and Vinnie Jones.
Post his marriage to Madonna, he directed her in a controversial music video in 2001. It was for her song What It Feels Like for a Girl and showed her indulging in violent and brutal behavior against men. The same year, he also directed her in a short film called Star for car manufacturer BMW. His next film, Swept Away (2002) also featured Madonna as an arrogant socialite who is trapped on a deserted island. The film was a commercial and critical disaster. In 2005, he returned to his preferred genre of crime-related movies with Revolver. It was not well received by critics. 3 years later, in 2008, he wrote and directed RocknRolla. The movie was a commercial success, which more or less revived his career. It also brought Hollywood attention to British stars like Gerard Butler and Tom Hardy. In 2009, Guy Ritchie rose to global stardom with critical and commercial success Sherlock Holmes that starred Robert Downey Jr. Its 2011 sequel Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows was an even bigger blockbuster.
Guy Stuart Ritchie
Hatfield, Hertfordshire, England, United Kingdom
Ashcombe House, near Salisbury, Wiltshire, England, United Kingdom
Guy Ritchie studied at Windlesham House School and Stanbridge Earls School. He was expelled from Stanbridge. He has stated that the reason for his ouster was his drug use. Guy was just 15 years old then. He never attended any film school.
Director, Producer, Screenwriter
- Father – Captain John Vivian Ritchie (Former Serviceman, Advertising Executive)
- Mother – Amber, Lady Leighton (née Parkinson)
- Siblings – Tabitha Ritchie (Older Sister) (Dance Instructor)
- Others – Major Stewart Ritchie (Paternal Grandfather) (Serviceman), Doris Margaretta McLaughlin (Paternal Grandmother), Shireen Ritchie (Step-Mother) (Former Model, Baroness, and Politician), Sir Michael Leighton (Ex-Step-Father), Kevin Baynton (Half-Brother)
He is represented by –
- Beth Swofford, Agent, Creative Artists Agency, Los Angeles, California, United States
- Anonymous Content Talent Agency
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
85 kg or 187.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Guy Ritchie has dated –
- Tania Strecker (1997-2000) – Guy Ritchie dated television presenter Tania Strecker for 4 years from 1997 to 2000. They split as Guy was planning to leave her and marry Madonna. Tania later made claims that Guy cheated on Madonna with her, while she was pregnant with their first child.
- Nicole Appleton (1999) – Guy had a very brief fling with Canadian celebrity Nicole Appleton in August and September 1999. They had known each other a few years but had grown close after her separation with Robbie Williams. The relationship did not last long as Guy was looking to marry Madonna.
- Madonna (2000–2008) – Guy Ritchie married music icon Madonna on December 22, 2000, in a lavish ceremony in Scotland. Gwyneth Paltrow was the maid of honor and producer/director Matthew Vaughn was best man. They have a son named Rocco John Ritchie (b. August 11, 2000). The couple also adopted a Malawian boy in 2006 named David (b. September 24, 2005). The couple eventually parted ways in October 2008 and kept the financial details of their settlement private. They also entered into a custody agreement for their sons and divided their time between Ritchie’s London home and Madonna’s place in New York.
- Lauren Meek (2008-2010) – After Guy’s divorce with Madonna, he had a relationship with Lauren, his assistant producer on the 2008 film, RocknRolla. She moved in with him and their stint lasted for almost 2 years as they broke up in 2010.
- Jemima Khan (2008-2009) – He was rumored to be dating producer Jemima Khan from 2008 to 2009.
- Petrina Khashoggi (2009) – Guy again had a short-lived fling with socialite Petrina Khashoggi in March 2009.
- Elle Macpherson (2009) – Guy dated Australian supermodel Elle Macpherson in 2009.
- Michaela Kocianova (2010) – He was rumored to be dating model Michaela Kocianova in 2010.
- Jacqui Ainsley (2015-Present) – Guy started dating model Jacqui Ainsley in 2010 and he married her on July 30, 2015. They have 3 children – son Rafael (b. September 5, 2011), daughter Rivka (b. November 29, 2012) and son Levi (b. June 8, 2014).
Race / Ethnicity
He has English, Irish, and distant French ancestry.
- Short hair and slightly receding hairline
- Usually keeps a well-groomed thick beard
While Guy was married to Madonna, he had embraced the Kabbalah faith; but did not completely comprehend it. He reportedly quit the faith after their divorce. However, he has retained his interest in spirituality and the Hebrew language.
Best Known For
Directing films like Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998), Snatch (2000), RocknRolla (2008), Sherlock Holmes (2009), and Aladdin (2019)
His feature film directorial debut was Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels in 1998.
As an actor, he made an uncredited theatrical film debut in Snatch in 2000.
First TV Show
He made his TV show debut as “Himself” on Charlie Rose in 1999.
Guy has stated that he maintains his fitness and discipline by regularly practicing martial arts, particularly Krav Maga. He also regularly practices Brazilian jiu-jitsu in which he holds a black belt.
Guy Ritchie Favorite Things
- Podcast – Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History
- Drink – Mortlach 16 [single-malt]
- TV Show – The Crown
- Book – Outwitting the Devil by Napoleon Hill
Source – Men’s Journal
Guy Ritchie Facts
- Guy’s paternal grandmother, Doris Margaretta McLaughlin was the daughter of Vivian Guy McLaughlin and Edith Martineau. Edith shared close common ancestors with Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge.
- He can speak Hebrew.
- He has dyslexia.
- Guy trained in Shotokan karate in London at the age of 7. He went on to achieve a black belt in both Shotokan and Judo. He has also won a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
- In 1998, Guy had approached Peter Morton, co-founder of Hard Rock Cafe as a potential producer for his maiden feature film. Peter contacted his nephew, Matthew Vaughn and he agreed to produce the film. Matthew Vaughn later went on to achieve global fame for directing movies like X-Men: First Class (2011) and Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014). Musician Sting‘s wife, Trudie Styler, also invested in the film. Sting and Trudie were later made godfather and godmother of Guy’s first-born son, Rocco.
- The movie Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998) launched the acting career of former professional footballer Vinnie Jones.
- In 2015, he released The Man from U.N.C.L.E., a remake of the 1960s spy TV series.
- He also directed the 2017 film, King Arthur: Legend of the Sword. It was planned as the first film of a new franchise but the sequels that were dropped after the film fared poorly at the box office.
- In 2019, he helmed Disney’s live-action adaptation of Aladdin. He co-wrote the film, which turned out to be one of his career’s most successful films, financially.
- Guy Ritchie was introduced to his future wife Madonna when his debut feature film’s soundtrack was released on her Maverick Records label.
- In 2000, he won an Edgar Allan Poe Award for ‘Best Motion Picture Screenplay’ for his film Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998).
- Guy’s 2nd film, Snatch (2000), was initially titled Diamonds.
- In his first 2 feature films, events were depicted from different characters’ perspectives; the technique became Ritchie’s trademark of sorts and could be seen in many of his subsequent works.
- In May 2000, he was arrested for an alleged assault on a 20-year-old man outside his then home in Kensington.
- In the 2002 film Swept Away, he renamed Madonna’s character as Amber Leighton, after his mother. The movie was a box-office bomb and earned him the Golden Raspberry Award for ‘Worst Director’.
- In February 2011, one of his houses in London was briefly occupied by members of a squatter organization, The Really Free School.
- As of November 2019, he has been nominated twice for the Saturn Award for “Best Director” – Sherlock Holmes (2009) and Aladdin (2019).
- In August 2017, The Raindance Film Festival announced that it would honor Guy with its 2nd Annual Auteur Award, for his tremendous contribution to the British film industry.
- Guy’s first inspiration towards movie-making was watching Paul Newman and Robert Redford in the 1969 movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
- Guy likes fishing and clay-pigeon shooting.
- At the MTV Movie Awards in 1999, Will Smith arrived on a horse and accidentally stepped on Guy’s foot, injuring him.
- Guy is not politically inclined. He has stated that he used to be passionate about politics and used to lean towards the Left-wing, then switched to the Right-wing, and ultimately settled somewhere in between.
- Guy Ritchie frequently collaborates with actors Jason Statham and Mark Strong, and director/producer Matthew Vaughn.
- He also frequently casts musicians in acting roles – Sting as J.D. in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998); Goldie as Bad Boy Lincoln in Snatch (2000), Madonna as Amber Leighton in Swept Away (2002); André Benjamin as Avi in Revolver (2005); and Ludacris as Mickey in RocknRolla (2008).
- Robbie Williams‘s 2007 song, She’s Madonna, references the discussion that he had with his ex-girlfriend Tania Strecker about the reasons that her former boyfriend Guy Ritchie would have given for leaving her for Madonna.
- Although the financial details of her divorce settlement with Guy Ritchie were kept private, Madonna hinted at gold-digging on Guy’s part in Love Spent and I Don’t Give A – songs from MDNA, her 2012 album.
- In 2008, he directed a commercial for Nike, which depicts the career of a young Dutch footballer. It was titled Nike: Take It To The Next Level.
- In 2012, he directed a TV commercial for the video game Call of Duty Black Ops II.
- In 2013, he directed a TV commercial for Hennes & Mauritz men’s bodywear. It featured David Beckham.
- In 2016, he directed a James Bond-style film for British fashion brand Ted Baker as part of its advertising campaign.
- Follow him on Twitter and Instagram.
Featured Image by Guy Ritchie / Instagram