|Helen Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5½ in|
|Date of Birth||November 21, 1938|
Helen is an Indian actress and dancer who is prominently recognized for her work in the Hindi film industry. Aside from that is also known as one of the best nautch dancers from her golden years and also the first actress to initiate cabaret and belly dance in the Hindi cinema.
Helen Anne Richardson
Queen of the Nautch Girls
Rangoon, British Burma
Helen would attend school until she decided to quit in order to help her mother financially.
- Father – George Desmier
- Mother – Marlene (Nurse)
- Siblings – Roger (Brother), Jennifer (Sister)
5 ft 5½ in or 166.5 cm
61 kg or 134.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Helen has dated –
- Prem Narayan Arora (1957-1974)
- Satish Kaul
- Salim Khan (1981-Present) – She is the step-mother of Salim’s 5 children Salman Khan (b. December 27, 1965), Arbaaz Khan (b. August 4, 1967), Sohail Khan (b. December 20, 1970), Alvira Khan Agnihotri (b. December 13, 1969), and Arpita Khan (b. August 1, 1989). Helen can now often be seen accompanied by director Salim and his first wife Salma Khan.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Anglo-Indian ancestry on her father’s side and Burmese ancestry on her mother’s side.
- She wears a pair of reading spectacles.
- Sports a short haircut
Helen Favorite Things
Source – Rediff.com
- She lost her father during World War II.
- After the death of her father, Helen and her family walked from Burma to Bombay through wilderness and villages in 1943, in an effort to escape the Japanese invasion.
- She has danced to a number of popular tracks by singer and songwriter Asha Bhosle including Piya Tu Ab Toh Aaja, Kar Le Pyar Kar Le, Aao Na Gale Lagao Na, and Yeh Mera Dil Pyar Ka Diwana.
- Despite having already acted in a number of films, Helen got her first big break when she performed to the track Mera Naam Chin Chin Chu in the film Howrah Bridge (1958). She was only 19 years old at the time.
- In 1999, Helen was presented with the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award.
- It was a family friend of hers named Cuckoo Moray who had helped her start her career in Bollywood.
- In total, Helen has been nominated for 5 Filmfare Awards, of which she won her first in 1980, for her work in the film Lahu Ke Do Rang (1979).
- Helen was presented with a Padma Shri in 2009.
Featured Image By Bollywood Hungama / Wikimedia / CC BY 3.0