|Hima Das Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||January 9, 2000|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Hima Das is an Indian professional sprinter who first came into the spotlight in August 2018 when she won 3 medals at the Jakarta Asian Games – ‘Gold’ in the women’s 4×400 m relay and the mixed 4×400 m relay events; and the ‘Silver’ medal in the 400 m event. In the last of those events, she had clocked 50.79 seconds, setting a new Indian national record, one that she still held as of July 2022. The mixed 4×400 m relay event was held for the first time at Asian Games. Just a month before the 2018 Asian Games, she had clinched the ‘Gold’ medal in the 400 m event at the 2018 Tampere World Athletics Under-20 Championships. This had made her the first Indian sprinter to have won a ‘Gold’ medal at an international track event. For her services to athletics, the Government of India honored her with the Arjuna Award (the 2nd-highest sporting honor in India) in September 2018.
Dhing Express, Mon Jai, Golden Girl
Dhing, Nagaon, Assam, India
Dhing, Nagaon, Assam, India
Hima had attended the Dhing Public High School in her hometown of Dhing. She later studied at an institution of the Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas, a system of central schools for talented students (predominantly from rural areas) in India.
She was selected to that institution after clearing an entrance examination when she was in the 5th grade. After graduating from high school in May 2019, she joined Cotton University, a public state university in Guwahati, Assam, to pursue a B. A. degree.
- Father – Ronjit Das (Farmer)
- Mother – Jonali Das (Farmer)
- Siblings – Rinti Das (Older Sister), Barsha Das (Older Sister), Basanta Das (Older Brother). She has 1 other older sibling.
She has been represented by Rahul Trehan, Manager and Booking Agent, Infinity Optimal Solutions (IOS) Pvt. Ltd., Sports Talent Management Agency, New Delhi, India.
100 m, 200 m, 400 m
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
54 kg or 119 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
- Toned physique
- Cheerful smile
- Radiant face
Hima Das Facts
- Hima, during her school days, was quite interested in soccer and used to play the sport with boys at her school. However, upon receiving some advice from a physical education teacher at her school, she changed her focus to athletics.
- After her exploits at the 2018 Asian Games and the 2018 World Athletics Under-20 Championships, she continued her success in 2019 when she won the ‘Gold’ medal in the 200 m event at the Poznan Grand Prix, clocking 23.65 seconds.
- The same month, she won the 200 m event at the Kladno Meet with a time of 23.43 seconds. Just a week after this, she won the 400 m event in Nové Město, Czech Republic, recording 52.09 seconds.
- She had then been selected for the World Championships that were to be held in Doha in October 2019. However, just a month before the event, she was ruled out due to a recurring back problem that had first started bugging her during the Asian games held in the previous year.
- In early 2021, the Bannerghatta National Park & Zoo in Bengaluru, Karnataka, named a tigress cub ‘Hima’ in her honor.
- In February 2021, she was appointed to the post of Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) in Assam Police, the primary law enforcement agency for the northeast Indian state of Assam. This was done under the state’s ‘Integrated Sport Policy’ which meant that she did not have to appear for the ‘Combined Competitive Examination’ that is conducted by the Assam Public Service Commission, a state recruitment agency for officers for the Government of Assam and all state government establishments under it.
Featured Image by Hima Das / Instagram