|John Lithgow Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||October 19, 1945|
John Lithgow is an American actor, author, musician, poet, voice actor, singer, and producer who is one of the most celebrated films, television, and on-stage actors of his generation. Over the years, he has been a recipient of several accolades including at least 2 Golden Globe Awards, 6 Primetime Emmy Awards, 3 Screen Actors Guild Awards, and 2 Tony Awards as well as nominations for 2 Academy Awards and 4 Grammy Awards. John Lithgow has been cast in shows like 3rd Rock from the Sun, Perry Mason, Dexter, 30 Rock, How I Met Your Mother, Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, Trial & Error, and The Crown. He is also known for his work in movies such as The World According to Garp, Beatriz at Dinner, Terms of Endearment, All That Jazz, Blow Out, Harry and the Hendersons, The Pelican Brief, Dreamgirls, Footloose, Love Is Strange, Shrek, Cliffhanger, Rugrats in Paris: The Movie, Bombshell, Late Night, A Civil Action, and Miss Sloane. On May 2, 2001, he was awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6666 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California.
John Arthur Lithgow
Rochester, New York, United States
He divides his time between –
- Los Angeles, California, United States
- New York City, New York, United States
John Lithgow studied at Princeton High School in Princeton and then graduated from Harvard College with an A.B. magna cum laude in 1967, in history and literature.
Afterward, he won a Fulbright Scholarship to study at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art.
Actor, Author, Musician, Poet, Voice Actor, Singer, Producer
- Father – Arthur Washington Lithgow III (Theatrical producer and director who ran McCarter Theatre in Princeton, New Jersey)
- Mother – Sarah Jane Lithgow (née Price) (Retired Actor)
- Siblings – Robin Lithgow (Sister)
- Others – Arthur Washington Lithgow, Jr. (Paternal Grandfather), Ina Berenice Robinson (Paternal Grandmother), Rev. Orlo Josiah Price (Maternal Grandfather), Eva Bronson Graves (Maternal Grandmother)
John Lithgow has been signed with United Talent Agency, Talent Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States.
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, his net worth had been $50 Million.
6 ft 4 in or 193 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
John Lithgow has dated –
- Jean Taynton (1966-1980) – In 1966, he got married to a teacher named Jean Taynton and their son, Ian David Lithgow, was born on February 3, 1972. The couple got divorced in 1980 after John had an affair with actor Liv Ullmann.
- Liv Ullmann – He had a fling with Norwegian actor and film director Liv Ullmann while he was married to his first wife Jean Taynton.
- Mary Yeager (1981-Present) – In 1981, he married UCLA history professor Mary Yeager and they have 2 children – son Nathan Lithgow and daughter Phoebe Lithgow.
Race / Ethnicity
John Lithgow is of Welsh, English, Scots-Irish/Northern Irish, and Scottish descent.
- Receding hairline
- Towering height
- Wild, over-the-top acting
- Bright blue eyes
- Distinctive dramatic voice
John Lithgow has been cast in TV commercials for –
- Discover credit card (1997)
- Kemper Funds (voiceover) (the late 1990s)
- Amira Insurance (2002)
- Campbell’s Select line of soups (2005)
- Progresso soup (voiceover) (2018)
John Lithgow Favorite Things
- Film – Modern Times (1936)
- French Comic Actor – Jacques Tati
Source – IMDb
John Lithgow Facts
- His last name is pronounced ‘LITH-go’.
- He is a descendant of 8 Mayflower passengers.
- He learned how to play J.S. Bach when he was a child.
- Alongside Robin Williams, Mary Beth Hurt, and Glenn Close, John Lithgow co-starred as Roberta Muldoon in the 1982 comedy-drama film The World According to Garp. This role got him nominated for an Academy Award in the “Best Supporting Actor” category.
- For his role as Sam Burns in the 1983 family comedy-drama film Terms of Endearment, John Lithgow was again nominated for an Academy Award for “Best Supporting Actor”.
- He was considered for the role of Hannibal Lecter in the 1991 psychological horror film The Silence of the Lambs but the part was finally played by Anthony Hopkins.
- From 1996 to 2001, John starred as Dick Solomon in the NBC sci-fi sitcom 3rd Rock from the Sun and this performance won him the Primetime Emmy Awards for “Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series” in 1996, 1997, and 1999.
- In 2005, he was inducted into the American Theater Hall of Fame for his work on Broadway.
- He has stated that his earliest memories as a child are of visits to Buttermilk Falls in Ithaca.
- John Lithgow has been friends with actor Alfred Molina.
- In 2019, he was elected to the American Philosophical Society.
Featured Image by Alan Light / Flickr / CC BY 2.0