|John McEnroe Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||February 16, 1959|
John McEnroe is an American sports broadcaster and former professional tennis player who is widely regarded as one of the greatest tennis players of all time. A rare trait among top-notch professionals, he was equally adept at the singles and doubles formats of the game, winning 77 singles and 78 doubles titles across his illustrious career which is the highest tally of senior men’s titles won, as of August 2020, by a male player in the history of the sport, in the professional Open Era. In the singles format, he had won the Wimbledon title thrice (1981, 1983, 1984), the US Open 4 times (1979, 1980, 1981, 1984), the Tour Finals (Masters Grand Prix) thrice (1978, 1983, 1984), and the World Championship Tennis (WCT) Finals 5 times (1979, 1981, 1983, 1984, 1989). In the doubles format, he had won the Wimbledon title 5 times (1979, 1981, 1983, 1984, 1992), the US Open 4 times (1979, 1981, 1983, 1989), and the Tour Finals (Masters Grand Prix) 7 times (1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984). He was named both the ‘ATP (Association of Tennis Professionals) Player of the Year’ and the ‘ITF World Champion’ thrice (1981, 1983, and 1984). Representing the United States, he had won the prestigious Davis Cup title 5 times (1978, 1979, 1981, 1982, 1992) and the mixed-gender team Hopman Cup in 1990. In 1999, he was inducted into the ‘International Tennis Hall of Fame’. Post-retirement, he has regularly competed in senior events on the ATP Champions Tour and has also worked as a commentator during Grand Slam events.
John Patrick McEnroe Jr.
Johnny, McBrat, Johnny Mac, SuperBrat
Wiesbaden, Hesse, Germany
New York City, New York, United States
John had graduated from the Trinity School in New York City in 1977. He had, later, also attended Stanford University in California.
Sports Broadcaster, Professional Tennis Player (Retired)
- Father – John Patrick McEnroe, Sr. (Advertising Agent, Former Air Force Officer)
- Mother – Katherine ‘Kay’ McEnroe (née Tresham)
- Siblings – Mark McEnroe (Younger Brother), Patrick McEnroe (Younger Brother) (Sports Broadcaster, Professional Tennis Player (Retired))
- Others – John McEnroe (Paternal Grandfather), Kathleen McEnroe (Paternal Grandmother), William J. Tresham (Maternal Grandfather), Florence M. Squires (Maternal Grandmother), George Smyth (Father-in-Law), Betty Smyth (Mother-in-Law), Charles Patrick Ryan O’Neal (Ex-Father-in-Law) (Actor, Former Boxer), Joanna Moore (Ex-Mother-in-Law) (Actress) (d. 1997), Griffin O’Neal (Ex-Brother-in-Law) (Actor), Ruby Meyers (Step-Daughter), Melissa Errico (Sister-in-Law) (Actress, Singer, Writer), Victoria Penny (Niece), Juliette Beatrice (Niece), Diana Katherine (Niece)
Left-Handed (One-Handed Backhand)
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
John has dated –
- Sonja Morgan
- Stacy Margolin (1976-1981)
- Lisa Taylor (1981)
- Stella Hall (1982-1984)
- Tatum O’Neal (1984-1994) – John started dating American actress and author Tatum O’Neal in 1984. They got married on August 1, 1986, and have 3 children together – a daughter named Emily McEnroe (b. May 10, 1991) and 2 sons named Sean O’Neal (b. 23 September 1987) and Kevin McEnroe (b. May 23, 1986). The couple parted ways in June 1994 and were handed joint custody of the children. However, in 1998, John was awarded sole custody.
- Patty Smyth (1993-Present) – John began dating American rock singer Patty Smyth in 1993 and they got married in April 1997. They have 2 daughters together named Anna McEnroe (b. December 27, 1995) and Ava McEnroe (b. March 28, 1999).
- Chrissie Hynde (1994)
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Irish and English descent.
- Toned physique
- Short-cropped, curly hair
- Clean-shaven look
- Cheerful smile
John has been featured in the TV commercials for –
- National Car Rental
- Protect Your Bubble
- Champion Home Mortgage
- United Airlines
- Seat Altea
- Pizza Hut
- Bic disposable razor
- Toyota Corolla II (Japan)
He has been sponsored by the Italian sportswear firm Sergio Tacchini.
John McEnroe Facts
- John had won 16 men’s Grand Slam titles across his career – 7 in singles and 9 in doubles. All of those wins came at only 2 of the 4 majors though – the US Open and Wimbledon. He never won a single men’s title at either the Australian Open or the French Open. At the former event, he never even reached the final once in his career.
- His only mixed-doubles Grand Slam title triumph was at the French Open in 1977.
- He had attained the world number 1 ranking in both the singles and doubles formats. In the singles format, he had finished the year-end rankings at number 1 for 4 years in succession (1981-1984).
- As of August 2020, he had held the record of ‘Best Win Rate’ in the singles format in a calendar year, in the Open Era. He had achieved the feat in 1984 when he had recorded a win-loss tally of 82–3 (96.47%).
- Apart from his on-court exploits, John was also very well known for his confrontational behavior which would often land him in trouble with umpires and regulatory authorities.
- He had once remarked ‘You Cannot Be Serious’ at a match umpire expressing his displeasure at one of his decisions. The phrase has become a legendary catchphrase among tennis fans and is often used in conversations on the sport. John had also co-written a book in 2002 with the same name where he had described his personal life and struggles.
Featured Image by John McEnroe / Instagram