|Jon Jones Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||July 19, 1987|
Jon Jones is an American professional mixed martial artist who is best known for his outstanding contributions and achievements in the industry of MMA fighting. He is signed with the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) and has been well-recognized as one of the toughest fighters in MMA history. Jones, who is the undisputed UFC Light Heavyweight Champion, also became a weight class champion on December 29, 2018, the same title he had defended from March 2011 to April 2015. At the age of 23, he won his first victory in a match against Maurício Rua in 2011 during which he was hailed as the youngest UFC champion. In his entire career, he has compiled a bunch of undisputed records and held most victories documented in the UFC records for the lightweight division. His records include most wins, longest win streaks, most title defenses, and most submission victories.
Amidst his reigning career, Jones got himself involved in a few controversies that made him lost his titles 3 times when disciplinary action was being served to him at the time. In 2015, he was removed from UFC’s official rankings following his arrest, but his hiatus wasn’t long as he quickly bounced back and made his way to the UFC ring again in 2016 and 2017. He fought and won against Ovince Saint Preux and Daniel Cormier shortly after his comeback. As of July 22, 2019, he was ranked number 3 in the official and final tally of UFC pound for pound rankings.
Jonathan Dwight Jones
Jon, Bones, S*xual Chocolate
Rochester, New York, United States
Ithaca, New York, United States
He attended the Union-Endicott High School situated in uptown New York, where he was an outstanding high school wrestler and state champion. He went to Iowa Central Community College and won a national JUCO championship.
Jones later transferred to Morrisville State College and took up Criminal Justice but decided to drop out to pursue a career in Mixed Martial Arts (MMA).
Professional Mixed Martial Artist
- Siblings – Arthur Jones (Older Brother) (Former NFL Player), Chandler Jones (Younger Brother) (NFL Player)
Jon Jones is represented by the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), Las Vegas, Nevada, United States.
84.5 in or 215 cm
6 ft 4 in or 193 cm
93 kg or 205 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jon Jones has dated –
- Jessie Moses – Jones got engaged to Jessie Moses during Easter of 2013 but the actual details about their wedding have not been confirmed as of September 2019. They have 3 daughters together named Leah (b. 2008), Carmen Nicole (b. 2009) who was named after Jones’s sister who died of brain cancer, and Olivia Haven (b. 2013). The long-time couple began dating when they were both attending the Endicott High School situated nearby Binghamton, New York, United States. The two remained in a relationship even after Jones transferred to Iowa Central Community College at the time.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of African-American descent.
- Thick Lips
- Towering Height
- Snub Nose Type
- Thick Eyebrows
Jon Jones has endorsed brands such as –
- Gat Supplements
Best Known For
- His outstanding contributions and achievements in the industry of MMA fighting
- Being recognized as one of the toughest and greatest fighters in history who has held the title as a UFC Light Heavyweight Champion
First UFC Match
On August 9, 2008, he made his UFC debut in a match against Andre Gusmão at the UFC 87. Though Jones was only given a two-week notice since he was only a replacement fighter for Tomasz Drwal at the time, he showed off an impressive performance with his takedowns and unorthodox striking such as spinning elbows and back kicks. He won the fight via a unanimous decision victory.
First TV Show
Apart from the broadcast of his MMA matches, he made his TV show debut as “Himself” on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno in 2011.
It takes a lot of consistent effort and discipline for MMA champion Jon Jones to stay fit and healthy especially at times when he’s preparing himself for another match. Professional MMA fighters like Jones go through immense training and workout not just to look fit and be perfectly in shape, but they train hard to ensure their physical strength and endurance performance are met before the next fight finally kicks off. As per a report published on July 29, 2017, Jon’s light-heavyweight striking coach Mike Winkeljohn revealed a handful of details about his workout parameters and techniques on how he usually takes a one-on-one training with Jones who first learned how to strike by only watching videos on YouTube all by himself.
Winkeljohn had to first teach him a basic striking class where they won’t spar. While the amount of strength brought into every strike the fighter makes is important, he added that it’s also “very important” to drill without getting punched straight on the head. He would also put himself in a position as Jon’s opponent for better execution of strikes and they would do a lot of footwork and pad work as part of their training. Swimming, mastering the basics of grappling, and training at Albuquerque’s height of 9,000 feet are also 3 things that should be off his checklist.
According to an in 2016, he personally hired a food specialist to take over his diet prior to his UFC comeback at UFC 197. Though his diet plan may vary before and after his fights, and, he may have been following his own routinary diet as an MMA fighter, the interview with Jones’s weight management specialist Louis Giordano is a potential hint about his usual diet routine whenever he’s out and preparing for another UFC match. Giordano told that his trainee’s diet plan consisted of a lot of proteins to help him prepare for his battle.
Jon Jones Healthy Diet Plan
- Buffalo / Bison
- Lots of eggs
- Greens such as Kale, Broccoli, Spinach, Arugula
- Black Rice
- Sweet Potato Pancakes
Jon Jones Favorite Things
Source – Instagram, Instagram, ESPN
Jon Jones Facts
- His popularity remains to be making rounds worldwide with a huge and growing fan base on social media. As of 2019, he has already amassed more than 4 million followers on Instagram, more than 2 million followers on Twitter, and more than 2.5 million followers on Facebook.
- Before signing up with Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), he acquired his last victory after defeating Moyses Gabin at BCX 5 for the USKBA Light Heavyweight Championship, during which he won via TKO in the 2nd round.
- In his early career, Jon Jones fought with some of the strongest opponents who were considered veteran MMA fighters at the time including Stephan Bonnar, Jake O’Brien, Matt Hamill, Brandon Vera, and Vladimir Matyushenko.
- On August 8, 2012, Jones became the first mixed martial artist to be sponsored by Nike on an international scale.
- He was also the first MMA fighter to represent Gatorade and MuscleTech in the Octagon.
- Following his suspension in 2017, he reclaimed the championship in 2018 after beating Alexander Gustafsson.
- Connect with Jon Jones on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Vengo Films / Vimeo / CC-BY-3.0