|Kim Hyun-joong Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||June 6, 1986|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Kim Hyun-joong is a South Korean actor, singer, and songwriter. He is best known for being a member of the South Korean boy band SS501. Apart from his work with the band, he has also worked as a solo artist and has released albums such as Unlimited, Imademo, New Way, Break Down, Lucky, Round 3, Timing and many more. Some of his famous singles include tracks such as Break Down, Please, Lucky Guy, The Reason I Live, Your Story” Kor. version, Beauty Beauty to name a few. Kim has a strong social media fan base with more than 4 million followers on Facebook and over 700k followers on Instagram.
Seoul, South Korea
After completing his high school, Kim attended Kyonggi University. Later, In 2011, he went to Chungwoon University to study stage production management.
Actor, Dancer, Model, Singer, Songwriter
- Father – Kim Hong-seong
- Mother – Jeong Yeon-mi
- Siblings – Kim Young Joong (Sister)
As part of SS501 Kim was being represented by DSP Entertainment.
Vocals, Drums, Bass, Guitar, Piano
- DSP Entertainment
- Label Henecia Music
5 ft 11 in or 180 cm
68 kg or 149 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Kim has dated –
- Hwangbo – Kim was linked with South Korea singer Hwangbo. They however never commented publically on their relationship but they were seen matching rings, watches, and caps.
- Jung So Min – Kim and South Korean actress and model Jung So Min were said to be romantically involved.
- Ms. Choi – Kim was in a relationship with Ms. Choi. Their relationship was surrounded by a lot of controversies.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of South Korean descent.
- Long Neck
- Bulged Eyes
- Pretty Boy Looks
Kim has done endorsement work for brands like –
Best Known For
- Being a South Korean actor, singer, and songwriter.
- Being a member of the boy band SS501.
Kim released his first studio album S.T 01 Now as a member of the boy band SS501 on November 10, 2006, under the DSP Entertainment label.
In 2006 he made his first appearance in the computer-animated movie named Pi’s Story. In this movie, he played the role of Bap, Max.
First TV Show
Kim Hung-joong made his TV show appearance in Nonstop (Season 5) in 2005 as himself.
Kim keeps himself fit by working out on a regular basis.
Kim Hyun-joong Facts
- As a child, Kim was really studious but he gave up after high school in order to follow his musical dream.
- In June 2005, he made his debut as part of South Korean boy band SS501 and his Japanese debut along with the group was in 2007.
- For his work, as part of SS501, he gained popularity and won multiple awards including the ‘New Commer Award’ at the Japan Gold Disc Award.
- He got his first major role as a lead in the Korean drama Boys Over Flowers that became quite a famous TV show in South Korea and he was presented with the award for most popular actor at the Seoul International Drama Awards in 2009 and most popular actor for television at the Baeksang Arts awards in the same year.
- The popularity of his show Boys Over Flowers was so much so that a cosmetic brand Tony Moly for which Kim had been a sports model saw an increase in 30 percent sales in 2009 just after the show was released.
- His next show after Boys Over Flowers was a major failure on South Korean television but helped him gain international fame as a ‘Hallyu’ star.
- In 2010, Kim represented South Korea at the opening of the Asian Games in Guangzhou.
- He began his career as a solo artist in June 2011 with the release of his EP Breakdown which sold more than 70k pre-ordered copies in just 10 days of its release and became the 9th best-selling magazine of the year as per Goan Album chart.
- His second EP Lucky peaked at number 5 position on Billboard’s World Chart and was named 10th best selling album of the year in South Korea by selling more than 100k copies.
- He has won awards including Asia Song Festival Awards for Best Asian Artist (2012), Korean Entertainment Awards for Best Solo Singer (2013), Miguhui Awards for Most Popular Overseas Singer (2012), Mnet Asian Music Award for Best Male Solo Artist (2011), Yahoo! Asia Buzz Awards for Korea’s Top Buzz Male Artist, Taiwan’s Top Buzz Korean Artist, Asia’s Top Buzz Male Artist, Hong Kong’s Top Buzz Korean Artist The Best Search Asia Buzz Award 2010, Asia’s Top Buzz Solo Artist and many more.
- In August 2014 one of his girlfriends named Choi accused him of beating her and causing bruises and broken ribs. Kim denied these charges stating that he had injured her only once that too was accidental.
- Kim issued an apology after which Choi dropped some of the charges in September but eventually he was fined 5 million KRW.
- In March 2017, he was again fined 2 million KRW after he was found passed out in his car at a traffic light with a revoked driver’s license.
- Apart from his acting and singing he has also been active in charity and donated 100 million KRW to earthquake relief in Japan in March 2011.
- Follow Kim Hyun-joong on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube.
Featured Image by Mochachocolata Rita / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0