|Lecrae Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||October 9, 1979|
Lecrae is a Grammy-winning American hip hop recording artist, songwriter, record producer, and actor. He is also the president, co-owner. and co-founder of the independent record label, Reach Records. Background, Shadows, and Mayday are a few of his famous songs. He also the co-founder and president of an NGO called Reachlife Ministries. He is active on Instagram with more than 1.5 million followers.
Lecrae Devaughn Moore
Houston, Texas, United States
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Lecrae went to college at the University of North Texas.
Rapper, Songwriter, Record Producer, Record Executive, Actor, Entrepreneur
Lecrae is represented by –
- Derek Arms and Flex Bowman, General Managers
- K. Shivers, Booking Agent, WME Entertainment
Christian Hip-Hop, Hip-Hop
- Cross Movement Records
- Reach Records
- Columbia Records
6 ft 5 in or 195.5 cm
85 kg or 187.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Lecrae has dated –
- Darragh Moore – Lecrae is married to Darragh Moore. They were about to split sometime in 2017 following the abortion saga of Lecrae’s ex-girlfriend but they managed to hold the relationship together. They have 3 children together.
Race / Ethnicity
Lecrae is of African-American descent.
- Tall height
- Tattoos on his arms
Best Known For
Releasing popular albums like Rebel (2008) and Anamoly (2014)
He released his first album titled Real Talk in 2004 via Reach Records.
He made his theatrical film debut as Dr. Malmquist in the comedy film Believe Me in 2014.
First TV Show
He made his TV show debut as “Himself” on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon in 2014.
Lecrae Favorite Things
- Rapper – Nas, Tupac
- Socialite – Jay-Z
- Song – Adam Lives in Theory
Source – Christian Post
- He was raised by a single mother and his father was a drug addict whom he never met.
- Lecrae lived in San Diego, Denver, and Dallas while growing up.
- He used to go to the church with his Christian grandmother but he said it wasn’t for him.
- At the age of 8, he was s*xually assaulted by his babysitter and that distorted his idea of s*x, further leading to his promiscuous lifestyle. He revealed this in his song Good, Bad, Ugly.
- His grandmother never let him watch rap music so he would sneak out at night while she slept to watch rap videos on TV. This later proved to be a source of information for him. He said, “There were no Martin Luther Kings or Malcolm Xs as they had all passed away, so, I had Tupac.”
- He was introduced to a gun by his uncle and soon after that, he turned to a life of crime.
- Lecrae started writing songs at the age of 11 where he wrote music for the neighborhood kids who started their rhythm and blues group.
- He wrote his first song for his crush. The writing style reflected Tupac’s writing style.
- At the age of 16, he was already on the gang list and had started taking drugs, fighting, and was arrested in high school for stealing.
- He has tried almost every drug except for crack and cocaine.
- Lecrae became a drug dealer and used his Bible given to him by his grandmother as a lucky charm. He eventually turned to alcohol and used to perform stunts like jumping from three-storeyed buildings after drinking. This is when he was called “Crazy ‘Crae”.
- By the age of 17, his life was completely toppled over due to his overindulgence in alcohol, drugs, and women. After that, he felt that his life had come to a dead-end and that’s when he decided to join the church.
- He was encouraged by his grandmother to join a bible study and that’s where he met his future wife Darragh.
- At the age of 19, he had an enlightenment that he spent a lot of time behind drugs and he turned to God after that. He started performing at a juvenile detention center to give the kids hope and encouragement.
- He got converted to a Christian in 1999.
- Lecrae found his ReachLife Ministries NGO in 2005 which got non-operational in 2015.
- On Feb 5, 2010, he released the single Far Away, a tribute to the victims of the 2010 Haiti earthquake. All his proceeds from this went straight to Haiti Relief Fund.
- His style of rapping is crunk, gangsta rap, and hardcore hip hop.
- He follows the reformed tradition of theology and is an influential figure in the New Calvinist movement.
- He looks up to Martin Luther King. Jr for inspiration on working out on social issues.
- He tells people that his music is not Christian. In an interview, he said “I think Christian is a wonderful noun, but a terrible adjective. Are there Christian shoes, Christian clothes, Christian plumbers, Christian pipes? I think if you’re going to, you should label it hip-hop… hip-hop is a particular poetic style. Labeling it with the faith assumes that the song is going to be some kind of sermon, but there’s a lot of social and political things that I don’t think make it gospel or Christian music. I like to wrap my mind around a total situation. I’m a social anthropologist. If I never been homeless, let me try to be homeless for a week and soak up that information. More like a method actor. So for me, it’s spending time with people and talking about things from their perspective”
- Lecrae is really very active in social activism. He has contributed articles to Billboard dealing with race issues in the United States of America.
- The member of American hip-hop group Clipse named No Malice sought Lecrae for spiritual advice.
- Canada Christian College honored him with Doctorate of Music to Lecrae on March 14, 2016.
- Find his website @ www.lecrae.com.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
Featured Image by Lecrae / Instagram