|Marie Kondo Quick Info|
|Height||4 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||October 9, 1984|
Marie Kondo is a Japanese organizing consultant, entrepreneur, author, and TV show host whose organizing philosophy, encapsulated in the KonMari method, has earned her a global following. Her books on the subject – Jinsei ga Tokimeku Katazuke no Mahō (The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up) (2011), Jinsei ga Tokimeku Katazuke no Mahō 2 (2012), Mainichi ga Tokimeku Katazuke no Mahō (The Everyday Magic of Tidying Up) (2014), Irasuto de Tokimeku Katazuke no Mahō (The Illustrated Guide to The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up) (2015), and Manga de Yomu Jinsei ga Tokimeku Katazuke no Mahō (The Life-Changing Manga of Tidying Up: A Magical Story) (2017) – have sold millions of copies globally and have been translated into more than 30 European and Asian languages. Her popularity in the United States and the United Kingdom soared even further in 2019 after the release of the Netflix reality TV series Tidying Up with Marie Kondo, which earned nominations in the categories of ‘Outstanding Host’ and ‘Outstanding Structured Reality Program’ at the year’s Primetime Emmy Awards. She had opened an online store called KonMari later that year and runs a comprehensive website that is a combination of e-commerce, training modules, blogs, and interviews.
Tokyo, Kantō, Honshu, Japan
Los Angeles, California, United States
Marie, after her high school graduation, had studied sociology at the Tokyo Woman’s Christian University.
Organizing Consultant, Entrepreneur, Author, TV Show Host
- Siblings – She has an older brother and a younger sister.
4 ft 7 in or 139.5 cm
53 kg or 117 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Marie has dated –
- Takumi Kawahara (2012-Present) – Marie had married sales support executive Takumi Kawahara in 2012. He later began to manage her brand and eventually became the CEO of Konmari Media, LLC. They have 2 daughters together named Satsuki and Miko.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Japanese descent.
- Diminutive frame
- Charming smile
- Gleaming face
- Shoulder-length, straight hair
Marie Kondo Facts
- Marie had mentioned in an interview that she had been obsessed with organizing and de-cluttering since her childhood. During her junior school days, she would skip physical education classes and organize bookshelves in her classroom. She would even pass over opportunities to be selected as the class representative so that she could manage bookshelves in her school.
- She had also revealed that the breakthrough in her philosophy of organizing had been achieved by accident. She had once suffered a nervous breakdown and had become unconscious for about 2 hours. She claimed that, upon regaining consciousness, a mysterious voice had told her that instead of focusing on the objects to dispose of, she should focus on preserving objects/things that made her happy.
- While she was still studying at the Tokyo Woman’s Christian University, aged 19, she had founded her first organizing consulting business. In her senior year, based on the aforementioned philosophy which later developed into the KonMari method, she had written her thesis that was titled ‘Tidying up as seen from the perspective of gender’.
- She was named in the 2015 list of ‘The 100 Most Influential People in the World’, published by Time magazine.
Featured Image by Marie Kondo / Instagram