|Michelle Wie Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||October 11, 1989|
Michelle Wie is an American professional golfer who began competing in the LPGA (Ladies Professional Golf Association) Tour in 2009. A child prodigy, she had turned professional just before her 16th birthday. Her best performances at the majors include the title triumph at the 2014 U.S. Women’s Open and 2nd-place finishes at the 2005 Women’s PGA Championship and the 2014 ANA Inspiration event. She has also won the 2009 Lorena Ochoa Invitational, the 2010 CN Canadian Women’s Open, the 2014 LPGA Lotte Championship, and the 2018 HSBC Women’s World Championship.
In team events, representing the United States, she has been a member of the winning team at the Solheim Cup (2009, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017) and the International Crown (2018). She had won the Laureus World Sports Award for ‘Newcomer of the Year’ in 2004 and the ‘Rolex Annika Major Award’ in 2014. Her major victories at the amateur level include the 2002 Hawaii State Open, the 2003 U.S. Women’s Amateur Public Links, and the 2004 Curtis Cup (team event).
Michelle Wie, Big Wiesy
Honolulu, O‘ahu, Hawaii, United States
San Francisco, California, United States
Michelle had graduated, in June 2007, from the Punahou School, a private school in Honolulu. She had then joined the Stanford University, a private research university in Stanford, California, in September 2007. During her first 3 years there, she used to attend only during the fall and winter quarters, taking leave during the rest of the year to play professional golf. She eventually graduated in 2012 with a major in communications.
- Father – Byung-wook Wie (Former Professor at the University of Hawaii)
- Mother – Bo Wie (Former Amateur Golfer, Former Beauty Pageant Contestant)
- Others – Sang-kyu Wie (Paternal Grandfather) (Emeritus Professor at Seoul National University), Jerry West (Father-in-Law) (Basketball Executive, Former Professional Basketball Player), Karen West (Mother-in-Law), Ryan West (Brother-in-Law)
6 ft or 183 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Michelle has dated –
- Robin Lopez (2008) – Rumor
- Adam Zahn (2014-2016)
- Jonnie West (2018–Present) – Michelle had started dating basketball executive and former basketball player Jonnie West in 2018. The couple had announced their engagement in March 2019, and they got married on August 10, 2019, at a private home in Beverly Hills, California. They have a daughter together named Makenna Kamalei Yoona West (b. June 19, 2020).
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Korean descent.
- Toned physique
- Shoulder-length, straight hair
- Radiant face
- Charming smile
Michelle has been sponsored by the sports goods manufacturing giant Nike.
Michelle Wie Facts
- At her birth, Michelle was a dual citizen of South Korea (by the principle of jus sanguinis) and the United States (by the principle of jus soli). She had ultimately renounced her South Korean citizenship in February 2013.
- At the age of just 10, she had become the youngest player have qualified for a USGA (United States Golf Association) amateur championship.
- When she had joined the Stanford University in 2007, she was ineligible to play for the institution’s golf team as she had already turned professional in 2005.
- In addition to English and her ancestral language, Korean, she is quite fluent in Japanese which has made her highly marketable in both Japan and South Korea.
Featured Image by Michelle Wie / Instagram