|Mohammed VI of Morocco Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||August 21, 1963|
Mohammed VI of Morocco is the King of Morocco who ascended to the throne on July 23, 1999, upon the death of his father. Although he has introduced several reforms, there have been allegations of corruption in his court. According to Forbes, Mohammed VI was the richest king in Africa in 2014 and the 5th-richest king in the world.
Sidi Mohammed bin Hassan al-Alawi
Mohammed VI of Morocco
Mohammed VI of Morocco attended Collège Royal in Rabat and completed his primary and secondary studies. In 1981, he received his Baccalaureate and gained a bachelor’s degree in Law at the Mohammed V University in 1985.
Later, he obtained his first Certificat d’Études Supérieures (CES) in Political Sciences in 1987 and then obtained a Diplôme d’Études Approfondies (DEA) in Public Law in July 1988. On October 29, 1993, he obtained his Ph.D. in Law with distinction from the French University of Nice Sophia Antipolis for his thesis on “EEC-Maghreb Relations”.
King of Morocco, Businessperson, Banker
- Father – Hassan II of Morocco (King of Morocco from 1961 until his death in 1999)
- Mother – Lalla Latifa Hammou
- Siblings – Princess Lalla Meryem of Morocco (Older Sister), Princess Lalla Asma of Morocco (Younger Sister), Princess Lalla Hasna of Morocco (Younger Sister), Prince Moulay Rachid of Morocco (Younger Brother)
- Others – Mohammed V of Morocco (Paternal Grandfather), Lalla Abla bint Tahar (Paternal Grandmother)
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, his net worth had been $2.1 Billion.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
77 kg or 169.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Mohammed VI of Morocco has dated –
- Salma Bennani (1999-Present) – In the year 1999, he met Salma Bennani during a private party and they married on March 20, 2002. They parent 2 children – a son named Moulay Hassan, Crown Prince of Morocco (b. May 8, 2003) and a daughter named Princess Lalla Khadija of Morocco (b. February 28, 2007).
Race / Ethnicity
Mohammed VI of Morocco is of Moroccan Berber, Turkish, Circassian, and distant black African descent.
Salt and Pepper
Mohammed VI of Morocco Facts
- His birthday is a public holiday in Morocco.
- On November 26, 1985, Mohammed VI was commissioned as a Colonel Major of the Royal Moroccan Army and he served as the Coordinator of the Offices and Services of the Royal Armed Forces until 1994.
- His military rank was promoted on July 12, 1994, as Major General. That same year, he became president of the High Council of Culture and Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Moroccan Army.
- On July 30, 1999, Mohammed VI was enthroned in Rabat.
- It has been reported by the New York Times that before ascending to the throne, Mohammed VI “gained a reputation as a playboy during the years he spent waiting in the wings, showing a fondness for fast cars and nightclubs.”
- Morocco banned the manufacturing, marketing, and sale of the burqa in January 2017.
- Mohammed VI reportedly purchased an €80 million mansion in Paris from the Saudi Royal family in 2020.
- He agreed to normalize relations with Israel in December 2020 on the condition that the United States will recognize Western Sahara as under Moroccan sovereignty.
Featured Image by U. Dettmar/ABr / Agência Brasil / CC BY 3.0 BR