|Neil Tennant Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10½ in|
|Date of Birth||July 10, 1954|
Neil Tennant is a talented English musician, singer, songwriter, and music journalist. He is known for co-founding the synth-pop duo group Pet Shop Boys with Chris Lowe in 1981. Before forming his band, he worked as a journalist and later as assistant editor for Smash Hits magazine. As a member of Pet Shop Boys, he has won many Brit Awards including “British Single” in 1987, “British Group” in 1988, and “Outstanding Contribution” in 2009. He has a Bachelor’s degree in History from North London Polytechnic.
Neil Francis Tennant
North Shields, Northumberland, England, United Kingdom
- London, England, United Kingdom
- County Durham in the North East countryside England, United Kingdom
Neil Tennant studied at St. Cuthbert’s Grammar School, in Newcastle upon Tyne. After that, he graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in History from North London Polytechnic, London in 1975.
Musician, Singer, Songwriter, Music Journalist
- Father – William W. Tennant (Sales Representative)
- Mother – Sheila M. Tennant
- Siblings – Susan Tennant (Older Sister), Simon Tennant (Younger Brother), Philip Tennant (Younger Brother)
- Others – Frank W. Tennant (Paternal Grandfather), Charles Tennant (Paternal Great Grandfather), Margaret Bell (Paternal Great Grandmother), Marion Wallace (Paternal Grandmother), William Wallace (Paternal Great Grandfather), Mary (Paternal Great Grandmother), Joannes Sidney Watson (Maternal Grandfather), Joannis Watson (Maternal Great Grandfather), Maria Agnes Davis (Maternal Great Grandmother), Catharina Anna Scarff (Maternal Grandmother), Roberti Joannis Scarff (Maternal Great Grandmother), Mariae McDermot (Maternal Great Grandmother)
Neil Tennant is managed by Becker Brown, Artist Management Agency, London, England, United Kingdom.
Synth-pop, Dance, Electro Pop, New Wave, Alternative Dance
Vocals, Keyboards, Synthesizer, Guitar
- EMI Records
- Parlophone Records
5 ft 10½ in or 179 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
Salt and Pepper
- Balding on the midsection
- Tends to wear thick rectangular rimmed glasses
- Tends to wear a hat during a performance on stage
Best Known For
Co-founding the synth-pop duo called Pet Shop Boys with Chris Lowe in 1981 and performing hit songs like Miracles, Heart, I Get Along, Jealousy, Shopping, One More Chance, and Was It Worth It?
On March 24, 1986, Neil Tennant as a member of Pet Shop Boys released their debut album titled Please with Parlophone Records in the United Kingdom and EMI America Records in the United States. The album had 11 tracks.
First TV Show
In 1986, he made his first TV show appearance on the comedy music series Entre amigos.
Neil Tennant Favorite Things
- Club – Area in Avenue A, London
Source – Pop Justice
Neil Tennant Facts
- In 1994, in one of his interviews, Neil stated that he is openly gay.
- In 2006, The Independent on their Sunday [UK] Pink List named Neil Tennant as no. 65 in their “Most Influential Gay Men and Women” list.
- One of his previous jobs was working in a pop magazine called Smash Hits as a music journalist.
- He is one of the key supporters of the Elton John AIDS Foundation.
- The first song that made him notice pop music was The Tornados’ Telstar (1962).
- The first album that he bought was The White Album (1968) by The Beatles.
- Being a massive fan of EF Benson’s comic novels, which generally is related to high society shenanigans in prewar Rye in Sussex, Neil bought a house in that area.
- In 1975, Neil formed his first band called Dust which was greatly influenced by The Incredible String Band.
- Neil’s first job was at the Marvel Comics publication where he had to tone down some suggestive costumes of certain superheroes.
- He had his first kiss with Frances Macdonald at age 9, and he later stated that he quite enjoyed it.
- He confessed that he is uneasy with messages as it tends to take control of one’s life.
- When he was younger, he didn’t want to be typecast as gay because he didn’t want to be a clone.
- Visit his official website @ petshopboys.co.uk.
- He is not active on social media.
Featured Image by Neil Tennant / Instagram