|P. Vasu Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||September 15, 1955|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
P. Vasu is an Indian director, writer, producer, actor, and singer who is known for his work in Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Hindi, and Malayalam language films. He has directed a number of films such as Chandramukhi, Kathanayaka, Apthamitra, Guri, Jayasimha, Jeevana Jyothi, Sethupathi IPS, En Thangachi Padichava, Daada, Vaathiyaar Veettu Pillai, Coolie, Ponmana Selvan, Panakkaran, Nadigan, Chinna Thambi, Idhu Namma Bhoomi, Mannan, Senthamizh Paattu, Vaimaye Vellum, Love Birds, Thottal Poo Malarum, and Drishya 2. As an actor, P. Vasu has been cast in movies like Vallarasu, Ee Parakkum Thalika, Seenu, Thenkasi Pattanam, Sundara Travels, Banda Paramasivam, Kadhal Kisu Kisu, Maha Nadigan, Nenu Meeku Telusa…?, Thanthonni, and Naane Ennul Illai.
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
P. Vasu studied at Wesley High School in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
Director, Writer, Producer, Actor, Singer
- Father – Peethambaran Nair (Worked as a make-up artist for N. T. Rama Rao and M. G. Ramachandran in their films during his time, Producer) (Passed away on February 21, 2011, at the age of 89)
- Mother – Kamala
- Siblings – Vidyasagar (Brother), Vimal (Brother), Vijaylakshmi (Sister), Vasantha (Sister), Vanaja (Sister)
- Others – M. C. Sekhar (Paternal Uncle) (Worked as a cinematographer for more than 150 films), Smrithi (Daughter-In-Law), Harshath (Grandson)
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
P. Vasu has dated –
- Shanthi – He is married to Shanthi and the duo has been blessed with 2 children – a son named Shakthi Vasudevan (b. February 23, 1983) and a daughter named Abirami Vasudevan. Shakthi has also pursued a career in the entertainment industry and has branched out as an actor.
Race / Ethnicity
P. Vasu is of Malayali descent.
Salt and Pepper
Frequently works in films that are in the “masala” genre
P. Vasu Facts
- His father was one of the leading make-up artists during his career and was elected as the president of the make-up union Tamil Nadu for 30 years. He also went on to produce about 25 films in Tamil and Telugu and became one of the leading producers in the south.
- P. Vasu started his career by working as an assistant director under the guidance of director C. V. Sridhar. Vasu later stated that he never followed Sridhar’s style of filmmaking and has always tried to be original with his work. Vasu has also said that during childhood, “I found myself watching films and narrating the stories to my friends in school. If the school would begin at nine I would reach there by eight and narrate the story for an hour”.
- He directed the 2004 Kannada-language horror film Apthamitra, a remake of the 1993 Malayalam classic film Manichithrathazhu with a few scenes borrowed from the 1997 Malayalam film Aaraam Thampuran. For this film, P. Vasu won the Filmfare Award for “Best Director – Kannada”.
- In 2010, he appeared as Adv. Anand Sharma in the Malayalam-language action thriller film Thanthonni. It stars Prithviraj Sukumaran, Sheela Kaur, Ambika, Sai Kumar, and Suraj Venjaramood.
- P. Vasu has served as a member of the state award selection committee and jury member of the committee for tax-free movies.
- Describing his work style, Indiaglitz wrote: “Vasu ruled the early 90’s with his sentimental tearjerkers, The joke in film circles was that Vasu came to the studios with a `thali’ (mangalsutra) and a script. He started using sister-brother- mother- father sentiment”. According to Behindwoods, “Vasu’s style of storytelling has pervasive dramatization with a more-than-usual touch of sentiment”.
- As a producer, P. Vasu has been a part of films like Walter Vetrivel, Sadhu, Malabar Police, and Thottal Poo Malarum.
Featured Image by Silverscreen Media Inc. / silverscreen.in / CC BY-SA 3.0