|Phil Elverum Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||May 23, 1978|
Phil Elverum is an American musician, songwriter, record producer, and visual artist who is best known for his musical projects titled The Microphones and Mount Eerie. Under the former, he has published the albums Don’t Wake Me Up (1999), It Was Hot, We Stayed in the Water (2000), The Glow Pt. 2 (2001), Mount Eerie (2003), and Microphones in 2020 (2020). Under the latter project, he has published the albums “No Flashlight”: Songs of the Fulfilled Night (2005), Lost Wisdom (2008), Dawn (2008), Wind’s Poem (2009), Clear Moon (2012), Ocean Roar (2012), Sauna (2015), A Crow Looked at Me (2017), Now Only (2018), and Lost Wisdom pt. 2 (2019). His work is widely recognized as pivotal in shaping the modern landscape of the indie rock genre of music.
Philip Whitman Elvrum
Anacortes, Skagit County, Washington, United States
Washington, United States
Phil had attended the Anacortes Senior High School in his hometown of Anacortes. After his high school graduation, he had briefly attended Evergreen State College, a public liberal arts college in Olympia, Washington.
Musician, Songwriter, Record Producer, Visual Artist
- Siblings – He has a sister and a brother.
- Others – Matilda Ledger (Ex-StepDaughter), Larry Richard Williams (Ex-Father-in-Law) (Politician, Author, Stock & Commodities Trader), Carla Ingrid (née Swenson) (Ex-Mother-in-Law), Paige Williams (Ex-Sister-in-Law)
Indie Rock, Folk, Electronic, Indie Folk, Lo-Fi, Noise Rock, Drone, Ambient, Dark Ambient, Blackgaze, Avant-Folk, Psychedelic Folk, Experimental Rock
Vocals, Guitar, Bass, Piano, Keyboards, Drums, Percussion, Alpenhorn, Tuba
- K Records
- P.W. Elverum & Sun
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
74 kg or 163 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Phil has dated –
- Geneviève Castrée (2003–2016) – Phil had started dating Canadian cartoonist, illustrator, and musician Geneviève Castrée (born Geneviève Gosselin) in 2003 after they had met through mutual friends. The couple got married on February 29, 2004, after which they intended to move to Canada but after searching for residency, they decided to remain in the United States, in the town of Anacortes, Washington, where Phil grew up. They had a daughter together named Agathe Elverum (b. 2015). Shortly after Agathe’s birth, Geneviève was diagnosed with inoperable pancreatic cancer. In June 2016, a GoFundMe account was set up by Phil to assist with her treatment. She, however, succumbed to the disease on July 9, 2016, aged just 35. Phil and Geneviève were together until her death. He had later recorded a series of albums centered around her life and death. In 2020, with help from his brother, he was building a house off the coast of Anacortes. He had originally planned to build this house with Geneviève.
- Michelle Williams (2018-2019) – He got married to American actress Michelle Williams in July 2018 in a private ceremony. Around the same time, he moved from his long-time residence in Anacortes to her home in Brooklyn, New York City. The couple separated in January 2019 and filed for divorce in April 2019. Following this, Phil moved back to Washington. By November 2019, it was reported that the divorce had been finalized.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of American descent.
- Short-cropped, tousled, receding hairline
- Clean-shaven look
Phil Elverum Facts
- When he was a child, Phil’s father would often make mixtapes for him and his sister. This fueled his interest in music and he soon started to play the tuba before moving on to drums.
- When he was 14 years old, he had started a band called Nubert Circus where he used to play the drums and write lyrics.
- In his adolescence, he used to work at a record store called The Business where he would often record music in the backroom after working hours. While there, a local musician had offered him a job as the drummer of a band called D+.
- In an interview, he revealed that he had once held ambitions of becoming a filmmaker. In his youth, he would frequently make movies with his friends and screen them at a local coffee shop.
- In 2002, he had spent a winter in northern Norway. He used to record his activities and that collection of notes became known as Dawn: Winter Journal which was the basis for the songs that were composed for Dawn (2008), the 3rd full-length album under Mount Eerie, Phil’s popular musical project.
- In the mid-2000s, he began to spell his surname Elvrum as ‘Elverum’.
Featured Image by Phil Elverum / Instagram