|Ratan Tata Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||December 28, 1937|
Ratan Tata is an Indian industrialist and philanthropist who was the chairman of Tata Sons. He is a well-known figure for his business ethics and philanthropy. Often considered as a visionary leader, Ratan Tata took the Tata Group from being a local brand to an international brand that has worldwide recognition in steel, tea, cars, and various other departments. His childhood was full of struggles and he was sent to an orphanage from where his grandmother adopted him and raised him. During his time as a chairman, revenue grew 40 times and profit more than 50 times to what it originally was. At the age of 75, he resigned as the chairman but in 2016 after Cyrus Mistry was removed, he was made the interim chairman. He has also made some investments in companies like Ola Cabs and Xiaomi. Tata also initiated the making of Starbucks, a leading coffee house in various parts of the world.
Ratan Naval Tata
Bombay, Bombay Presidency, British India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Ratan Tata studied till 8th class in Campion School and later went to Cathedral and John Connon School followed by Bishop Cotton School in Shimla. He completed his graduation from Riverdale Country School in New York City and received a degree from Cornell University in Architecture. He also attended an Advanced Management Program at Harvard Business School.
Chairman Emeritus of Tata Sons, Former Chairman of Tata Group
- Father – Naval Tata (Industrialist)
- Mother – Sonoo Tata
- Others – Simone Tata (Step-Mother), Noel Tata (Half-Brother) (Businessman), Navajbai Tata (Grandmother), Hirabai Tata (Maternal Aunt), Jamshedji Tata (Great Grandson) (Industrialist)
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
85 kg or 187.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He belongs to a Parsi family.
Salt and pepper
He has endorsed brands like –
Ratan Tata Favorite Things
- Color – Red
- Food – Masoor dal cooked with lots of garlic, Mutton pulao dal, and nut-rich baked custard
- Car – Ferrari California
- Places – California
- Hobbies – Painting, Playing Piano, Scuba Diving, Flying Jet Planes
Source – Telegraph India, DNA, YouTube
Ratan Tata Facts
- His parents separated when he was 10 years old.
- He has 2 pet dogs Maximus and Tito.
- He was raised by his grandmother.
- Tata Nano was his dream car that he launched in 2009.
- Ratan Tata is a trained pilot and was the first Indian to fly an F-16 in 2007.
- He joined Tata Group in 1961 and his first job was to shovel limestone.
- He became the chairman of the Tata Group in 1991.
- Under his leadership, Tata transformed from a local brand to a global conglomerate.
- He is very humble and down to earth.
- He is on the advisory board of Mitsubishi, Booz Allen, Hamilton, and JP Morgan.
- Ratan is an avid philanthropist.
- He received the Padma Bhushan in 2000 and the Padma Vibhushan in 2008.
- In his 21 years of leadership from 1991 to 2012, the Tata group reached its maximum heights.
- Under his leadership, he acquired Jaguar Land Rover and Tetley.
- He was adopted from J. N. Petit Parsi Orphanage by his grandmother.
- Harvard Business School has a block named under him.
- He is a supporter of education, medicine, and rural development.
- Ratan heads 2 charitable trusts – Sir Dorabji Tata Trust and Sir Ratan Tata Trust.
- He was appointed to the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace in 2013.
- He is unmarried but was close to marriage 4 times.
Featured Image by DGR PR Girish / state.gov / Public Domain