|Rob McElhenney Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9½ in|
|Date of Birth||April 14, 1977|
Rob McElhenney is an American actor, director, producer, screenwriter, and co-owner of the Wrexham Association Football Club. He is known for playing Ronald “Mac” McDonald in the FX/FXX comedy series It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Louis “Lou” Tookers in the Fox romantic comedy series The Mindy Project, Ian Grimm in the Apple TV+ comedy series Mythic Quest, and Aldo in the ABC drama series Lost. On It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, he has also served as one of the developers, executive producers, and the creator of the show.
Robert McElhenney III
Rob, Mac, Robert Dale McElhenney
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Rob McElhenney studied at Saint Joseph’s Preparatory School in Philadelphia and then attended Temple University.
Actor, Director, Producer, Screenwriter, Co-owner of the Wrexham Association Football Club
- Father – Robert McElhenney
- Mother – Helena McElhenney
- Siblings – Katie McElhenney (Younger Sister). Rob has one more younger sibling.
- Others – Robert J. McElhenney (Paternal Grandfather), George F. Summers, Sr. (Maternal Grandfather), May Clements (Maternal Grandmother), Marcus N. McElhenney (Cousin) (Olympic Medalist, Attorney, Activist)
Rob McElhenney has been repped by William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, Talent and Literary Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States.
In 2020, his net worth was $50 Million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 9½ in or 176.5 cm
74 kg or 163 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Rob McElhenney has dated –
- Jordan Reid (2003-2005) – He was romantically involved with actor Jordan Reid between 2003 and 2005.
- Kaitlin Olson (2006-Present) – In 2006, he started dating actor, comedian, and producer Kaitlin Olson after he hired her to play the role of Dee Reynolds in It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. To him, she was the funniest woman in show business and he became romantically interested in Olson “around season 2” of the series. On September 27, 2008, they got married in California and have 2 sons – Axel Lee McElhenney (b. September 1, 2010) and Leo Grey McElhenney (b. April 5, 2012).
Race / Ethnicity
Rob McElhenney is of Irish, German, English, and Scottish decsent.
Salt and Pepper
- Often includes references to retro action films or music, either through story or dialogue
- Humor from very dark characters and situations
- Vain, immoral characters lacking in self-awareness
He appeared in a TV commercial for Nike in 1999.
He was raised Roman Catholic.
Rob McElhenney Facts
- He was 8 years old when his parents divorced after his mother came out as a lesbian.
- Although he was mainly raised by his father, McElhenney’s parents remained close after the divorce.
- It was one of his closest friends, Joseph Dougherty Jr. of Delaware County, who suggested the idea for what later would become It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia.
- Rob McElhenney played Elder Harmon, the oldest one of the L.D.S. missionaries who has been assigned as their leader, in the 2003 romantic comedy-drama film Latter Days. The film is about a gay relationship between a closeted Mormon missionary and his openly gay neighbor.
- Rob was once roommates with actor, director, and screenwriter Christopher Backus.
Featured Image by Gage Skidmore / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0