|S. Shankar Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||August 17, 1963|
S. Shankar is an Indian filmmaker who is widely known for directing big-budget films and working with the superstars of the country. He works predominantly for the Tamil film industry. Most of Shankar’s films include heavy prosthetics and have a social issue attached to it. Often referred to as the Steven Spielberg of India, Shankar specializes in the genre of sci-fi movie narratives. As a director, he made his debut in the film Gentleman (1993) that was a successful film and went onto deliver hits after hits. Shankar has directed films that have broken several records at the box-office like Robot (2010), Sivaji (2007), Indian (1996), and 2.0 (2018).
He started his career as an assistant director with directors like S. A. Chandrasekhar and Pavithran. Shankar collaborated with superstar Rajinikanth for the film Sivaji in 2007 that broke all records earning more than Rs. 600 million. Shankar became the highest-paid director with the film as he received a whopping Rs. 100 million as his fee. In 2010, Shankar made the film Robot starring Rajinikanth and Aishwarya Rai in the lead. The film went onto being a massive success and was the highest grosser at that time. In 2012, Shankar made an announcement and directed the film titled I starring Amy Jackson and Vikram. The film received critical acclaim and was made over a period of 2 years. In 2018, he went onto collaborate with Rajinikanth again in the Robot franchise in the film 2.0 which also starred Akshay Kumar.
Thanjavur district, Tamil Nadu, India
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
He is a graduate of the Central Polytechnic College where he completed his diploma in Mechanical Engineering.
Film Director, Film Producer, Screenwriter
- Father – Shanmugam
- Mother – Muthulakshmi
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
85 kg or 187.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Shankar has dated –
- Easwari Shankar – Shankar is married to Easwari Shankar. She accompanies him on all the events the director attends. They have a son together named Ajith and 2 daughters named Aishwarya and Aditi.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Tamilian ancestry.
Best Known For
Directing big-budget films that involve a lot of prosthetics and visual effects along with films that have a very strong social theme
As a Director
Shankar’s first theatrical film was Gentleman in the year 1993 for which he also won the Filmfare “Best Director” award.
As an Actor
His first theatrical film as an actor was the 1986 film Poovum Puyalum. However, his role in the film was uncredited.
He made his credited theatrical film debut as a lyricist in the 1994 romantic-thriller, Kadhalan.
As a Producer
Shankar made his theatrical film debut as a producer with the film Mudhalvan in 1999.
S. Shankar Favorite Things
- Singer – A. R. Rahman
- Actor – Rajinikanth
- Movies – Lagaan, Dil Chahta Hai, 3 Idiots
- Assistant – Archish Kalyanaraman
Source – Economic Times
S. Shankar Facts
- He frequently uses A. R. Rahman for his films.
- His stories are often fast-moving.
- S. Shankar was introduced to films by filmmaker S. A. Chandrasekhar. He had spotted him while he saw Shankar perform during his college days as his assistant for scriptwriting.
- He is one of the highest-paid directors in India.
- S. Shankar is one of the only directors to have worked with almost all the superstars of the Tamil film industry.
- His films Jeans (1998) and Indian (1996) were submitted for Academy Award for “Best Foreign Language Film”.
- He was awarded a doctorate by M. G. R. University in the past.
- He wanted to be an actor initially.
- His film Nayak failed at the box-office but became a cult film.
- S. Shankar’s film 2.0 was earlier offered to Aamir Khan and Arnold Schwarzenegger as protagonists and antagonists respectively.
- His film Anniyan was the 2nd highest-grossing Tamil film in 2005.
- Follow him on Facebook and Twitter.
Featured Image by Dani Charles / silverscreen.in / CC BY-SA 3.0