|Sekhar Kammula Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||February 4, 1972|
Sekhar Kammula is an Indian film director, screenwriter, and producer who is widely recognized for having directed, produced and written, several critically as well as commercially successful Telugu movies including Dollar Dreams (2000) and Anand (2004), the former having earned him the National Film Award for “Best First Film” of a director. Kammula has amassed more than 80k followers on Instagram.
Eluru, Andhra Pradesh, India
He attended Chaitanya Bharathi Institute of Technology, graduating in Mechanical Engineering. He then did his Masters’s degree in Computer Science in America. He went on to work in the IT industry for close to 3 years following which he enrolled in a film school and acquired his M.F.A (Film) degree at Howard University, Washington D.C. During that time he had worked on numerous short and feature-length movies in the U.S.
Film Director, Screenwriter, Producer
5 ft 6 in or 168 cm
68 kg or 149 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
He has dated –
- Sri Vidya – He has been married to Sri Vidya.
Race / Ethnicity
- Wears spectacles
- Beard and mustache
Sekhar Kammula Favorite Things
- Tunes For His Films – Classical and raga-based ones
Source – The Hindu
Sekhar Kammula Facts
- He was raised in Hyderabad, Telangana.
- He has recollected that he grew up in a normal family where both boys and girls were treated equally. He would feel that the girls in his family were smarter. He has always wanted both the man and woman to have an equal say in a relationship.
- Sekhar has disclosed that the US opened up his vision to discrimination. During the time he was doing his graduation one of his friends made a movie displaying the way African-Americans have been caricatured for their physical attributes such as curly hair. Until then, he had never paid attention to it.
- Kammula’s films have been noted to have usually focused on the relationship between men and women in their common life circumstances. He has liked his female characters to not necessarily be strong women but real ones who show their egos and throw tantrums, and refuse to follow the typical societal norms expected from a woman.
- He has revealed that the idea to make the movie Fidaa had been there for a long time as he wanted to do a story set in America. He has had a deep admiration for the US where he had spent some years studying and working. He had steered clear of any stereotyping that he believed has always crept in when one looks at NRI characters in our films. He felt the game changer to have been setting a part of the story in Telangana.
- Sekhar had fun getting the Telangana flavor in his movie Fidaa. The shooting was done in Banswada in Nizamabad, which has striking black soil and beautiful greenery. He avoided using junior artists for scenes like the wedding, and instead had written down names of around 140 people from the nearby villages, and summoned them for the filming. Even the props used were fully sourced locally.
- Kammula had a very simple life in the US so that he could save money. While applying for the film school at Howard University, he had written in the statement of purpose that he had the disposition to dwell upon the things which people usually ignore when they get busy accomplishing their materialistic needs. He had also informed that he has loved nature, and the small things in life, and has cherished observing the tender feelings shown by kids. He was delighted when he was quickly offered admission into the institute.
Featured Image by Sekhar Kammula / Instagram