|Steph Houghton Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||April 23, 1988|
Steph Houghton is an English professional soccer player who has represented, as a defender, top-flight English clubs such as Sunderland A.F.C. Ladies (2002-2007), Leeds United Women F.C. (2007-2010), Arsenal W.F.C. (2010-2013), and Manchester City W.F.C. (2014-Present). With Leeds United Women F.C., she had won the FA Women’s Premier League Cup in the 2009-10 season. Representing Arsenal W.F.C., she had clinched the FA Women’s Cup (2010–11, 2012–13), the FA WSL (Women’s Super League) (2011, 2012), and the FA WSL Cup (2011, 2012, 2013). With Manchester City W.F.C., she had won the FA Women’s Cup (2016–17, 2018–19, 2019–20), the FA WSL (Women’s Super League) (2016), and the FA WSL Cup (2014, 2016, 2018–19). At the international level, she had represented England at the Under-16, Under-19, Under-20, Under-21, and Under-23 tiers before making her senior national debut in 2007. Capped more than 100 times by her country, she was an integral member of the squads that won the Cyprus Cup (2009, 2013, 2015) and the SheBelieves Cup (2019). She had been appointed the English captain in January 2014 and hed led the country to a 3rd place finish in the FIFA Women’s World Cup in 2015 and a 4th place finish in 2019.
Stephanie Jayne Houghton
Durham, England, United Kingdom
Worsley, City of Salford, Greater Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Steph had attended the Durham Sixth Form Centre, a co-ed sixth form institution in her hometown. She had then studied at the Loughborough College, a general further education college located in Leicestershire.
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Len Houghton
- Mother – Amanda Houghton
- Siblings – Stuart Houghton (Younger Brother)
- 5 – England
- 2 – Arsenal W.F.C.
- 6 – Manchester City W.F.C.
Defender (Centre Back)
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
62 kg or 136.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Steph has dated –
- Stephen Darby (2018-Present) – Steph got married to English former professional soccer player Stephen Darby on June 21, 2018.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of British descent.
- Toned physique
- Neck-length, straight hair
- Gleaming face
- Affable smile
Steph has been sponsored by –
- Cadbury UK
- STAT Sports
- Boots UK
Steph Houghton Facts
- Although Steph has made her name as one of the best defenders of her generation, she had started her senior career, with Sunderland A.F.C. Ladies in 2002, as a striker. She had later moved into midfield before settling down in the defensive line.
- She had suffered severe injuries just before the 2007 FIFA Women’s World Cup and the UEFA Women’s Euro 2009, the first major international events after her senior debut for England, and had to miss both tournaments.
- In May 2009, she was among the first 17 female players who were awarded central contracts by The Football Association (FA), the governing body for the sport in England.
- In October 2014, she had become the first female player to have been featured on the cover of Shoot magazine.
- At the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup, she was the ‘Player of the Match’ in England’s quarterfinal clash with Canada. The result had helped England qualify for the semi-final for the first time in history.
- For her services to the sport, she was appointed a ‘Member of the Order of the British Empire’ (MBE) in the 2016 New Year Honours.
Featured Image by Steph Houghton / Instagram