|Steve Madden Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||March 23, 1958|
Steve Madden is an American fashion designer and businessman who has gained global acclaim for being the founder and former CEO of Steve Madden, Ltd., a publicly-traded company.
Far Rockaway, Queens, New York City, New York, United States
New York City, New York, United States
Steve Madden studied at the local high school in Nassau County, New York. After graduating high school, he attended the University of Miami for 2 years before returning to Long Island.
Fashion Designer, Businessman
- Father – He ran a textile factory.
- Mother – She was a homemaker.
- Siblings – Steve has 2 older siblings.
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
85 kg or 187.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Steve Madden has dated –
- Wendy Ballew (2005-2015) – In 2005, he got married to Wendy Ballew who served as his former director of operations. The duo has been blessed with 3 children – twins Jack (son) and Stevie Madden (daughter) (b. October 3, 2007) and daughter Goldie Ryan Madden (b. March 8, 2013). However, they divorced in 2015.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Irish descent on his father’s side.
Salt and Pepper
Often wears a cap
He grew up in a household with a Jewish mother and a Catholic father.
Steve Madden Facts
- He was raised in Lawrence, Nassau County, New York.
- In the year 1990, he started his company with $1,100 by selling shoes out of the trunk of his car.
- Steve Madden was convicted of stock manipulation, money laundering, and securities fraud in 2002 and was sentenced to 41 months in prison. He was also made to resign as CEO from Steven Madden, Ltd. and from the board of directors.
- The designer served time in the Federal Prison Camp, Eglin, at Eglin Air Force Base, and later the Coleman Federal Correctional Complex, near Ocala, Florida.
- Soon after his release from prison in 2005, his company’s revenue increased by nearly $100 million in 2006 to $475.1 million.
- Steven Madden, Ltd. was also named “Company of the Year” for the second time at the Footwear News Achievement Awards.
- In the popular 2013 biographical black comedy crime film titled The Wolf of Wall Street, he was portrayed by Jake Hoffman and was shown visiting Stratton Oakmont, where Belfort gives the brokers a rousing pep talk about pushing Madden’s stock. The film is based on the Jordan Belfort memoir and Madden has criticized his portrayal in the movie calling it “too nerdy”.
- Steve Madden attended the court-ordered rehab after admitting having abused alcohol and various drugs.
- His memoir titled The Cobbler: How I Disrupted an Industry, Fell From Grace, and Came Back Stronger Than Ever was released in October 2020.
Featured Image by Steve Madden / Instagram