|Tanita Tikaram Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||August 12, 1969|
Tanita Tikaram is a British singer and songwriter who first came to prominence as a 19-year-old whose debut album Ancient Heart (September 1988) had ruled the music charts with its popular singles Twist in My Sobriety and Good Tradition. Both those tracks had peaked in the ‘Top 10’ in several European countries and the album had sold more than 4 million copies worldwide. She has gone to release several other albums since then, including The Sweet Keeper (1990), Everybody’s Angel (1991), Eleven Kinds of Loneliness (1992), Lovers in the City (1995), The Cappuccino Songs (1998), Sentimental (2005), Can’t Go Back (2012), Closer to the People (2016), and To Drink the Rainbow (2019).
Münster, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Primrose Hill, Camden, London, England, United Kingdom
- Father – Pramod Tikaram (Former Officer in the British Army)
- Mother – Fatimah Rohani
- Siblings – Ramon Tikaram (Older Brother) (Actor)
- Others – Moti Tikaram (Paternal Great Uncle) (First Lord Chief Justice of Independent Fiji, First Ombudsman of Independent Fiji, Former President of the Fiji Football Association) (d. May 17, 2012), Isa Tikaram (Niece), Kisi Tikaram (Nephew)
She is represented by Sarah Pearson, Manager and Booking Agent, Wasted Youth Music, London, England, United Kingdom.
Pop, Folk, Rock, Indie Pop
Vocals, Guitar, Piano, Bass Guitar
- Reprise Records
- East West Records
- Naïve Records
- Warner Records Inc.
- Mother Records
- Edel SE & Co. KGaA
- Needle Mythology
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Tanita has dated –
- Natacha Horn (2012-Present) – Tanita had started a long-term relationship with Belgian film director and multimedia artist Natacha Horn in 2012.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Indian-Fijian descent on her father’s side and Sarawakian (Malaysian) descent on her mother’s side.
- Petite frame
- Center-parted, neck-length, frizzy hair
- Affable smile
- Radiant face
- Has a mole above her lips and another just below her lips
- Deep, brooding voice
Tanita Tikaram Facts
- Her father’s stint in the British army had meant that Tanita’s birth had taken place in erstwhile West Germany and she had spent her childhood and early teenage years moving from one place to another. The family had eventually settled down in Hampshire, England when she was 12 years old.
- She had started singing in nightclubs in her late teens, and it was at one such performance that she had been spotted by an agent who had helped her land a contract with Warner Records Inc.
- The single Twist In My Sobriety from her debut studio album Ancient Heart (1988) was nominated in the category of ‘Best British Single’ at the 1989 Brit Awards. She was also nominated in the ‘Best British Female Artist’ category that year.
- After her next 4 albums had registered progressively weaker sales, she had taken a break from the music industry and moved to San Francisco, making a comeback in 1995 with a much better-received album Lovers in the City.
- After releasing The Cappuccino Songs in 1998, she had made it a point to take extended breaks from work. Her next 2 albums – Sentimental (2005) and Can’t Go Back (2012) – had both seen a 7-year gap after the previous album release.
Featured Image by Tanita Tikaram / Instagram