|Upendra Rao Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||September 18, 1968|
Upendra Rao is an Indian actor, filmmaker, producer, screenwriter, and politician who has predominantly worked in Kannada cinema and has also done a few Telugu movies. He is best known for acting and/or directing movies such as Tharle Nan Maga (1992), A (1998), Upendra (1999), Super Star (2002), Raktha Kanneeru (2003), Aishwarya (2006), Budhivanta (2008), Godfather (2012), S/O Satyamurthy (2015), and I Love You (2019). He is well recognized for his unusual plotlines, non-linear story structures, and thematic representation of Indian politics and society in his films.
Koteshwara, Kundapur, Udupi, Karnataka, India
Bengaluru, Bayaluseemé, Karnataka, India
Upendra, after his high school graduation, had joined the A.P.S. College of Commerce in Bengaluru. He had graduated from there with a B. Com. (Bachelor of Commerce) degree.
Actor, Filmmaker, Producer, Screenwriter, Politician
- Father – Manjunath Rao
- Mother – Anasuya
- Siblings – Sudeendra Rao (Older Brother)
- Others – Vivek Trivedi (Brother-in-Law), Samira Trivedi (Mother-in-Law)
5 ft 9 in or 175.5 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Upendra has dated –
- Priyanka Upendra (2003-Present) – Upendra had married actress and producer Priyanka Upendra (née Trivedi) on December 14, 2003. They had first starred opposite each other in the Telugu movie Raa (2001) and then in H2O (2002). They have 2 children together – a son named Ayush Upendra (b. 2007) and a daughter named Aishwarya Upendra (b. November 2008).
Race / Ethnicity
- Toned physique
- Neck-length, overgrown, tousled hair
- Sports a rugged beard
Upendra has served as the brand ambassador for numerous products, services, and organizations including –
- United Breweries
- Lunars Footwear
- SK Super TMT
- Mavalli Tiffin Room
- Bangalore Electricity Supply Company
- Emami Navaratna
- Karnataka Milk Federation
- Udayavani News Daily
Upendra Rao Facts
- Upendra, as a child, had suffered from an eye disease, the result of which can often be noticed when he rolls his eyeballs in many film sequences.
- While he was studying at A.P.S. College of Commerce, he used to participate in several plays and would often form acting troupes with his friends. In his final year in college, he had made an acquaintance with actor and director Kashinath, a distant relative of his. He would eventually start his film career as a writer and an assistant director under the supervision of Kashinath.
- He was conferred with an honorary doctorate by Angkor University in 2015.
- In October 2017, he had joined a newly formed political party called Karnataka Pragnyavanta Janata Paksha. The focus of the new outfit was on skill-driven leadership and people-centric politics. However, in March 2018, Upendra had quit the party citing internal differences.
- He had later formed another political party and had named it Uttama Prajakeeya Party (UPP), which is based on the principles of Prajakiya (citizen-centric administration). Although it was promoted as a people-centric outfit, the fact that Upendra’s photo had been used on the party’s logo led many people to question whether this new endeavor would devolve into a structure with the most power lying in the hands of just a few powerful leaders. Also, the fact that the party name itself is abbreviated as UPPI, Upendra’s nickname, had caused further doubts in the minds of its supporters.
Featured Image by Upendra Rao / Instagram